money in east europe

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
V_King

Re: money in east europe

Post by V_King »

Never had issues neither with visa, nor with master card going east. But always go to the main petrol station chains and high street shops. If planning to go somewhere more remote, always take some cash with you.
p.s. the only country in Europe I had issues with cards was Germany. Germans seem to be squeamish seeing non German debit/credit card and very quickly find all kinds of excuses hy the card machine does not work.
""
Chasbmw

Post by Chasbmw »

The Germans don't really do cards......much easier to save on your tax payments with cash, I was told by friends who live in Berlin that the black economy is much bigger than you might imagine
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

V2orV4 wrote:Don't know if you have sorted accommodation in Colditz, but part of the castle is a modern hostel now. We stayed there a few years ago, had a double room with shower etc. Nice experience being in the castle at night, I was imagining all sorts of escape plots etc.

Definitely Best to book a guided tour to get most out of your visit.
If you don't fancy the hostel, a bloke called Ralph owns the small hotel in town and has lots of local knowledge. Only downside staying in the town is hardly any bars/restaurants. Think I only found one and seems to only open short hours.

Steve
we are hoping to stay in the castle,but if we cant get in there is a campsite not far away.cheers for your input.
mac10biker

Post by mac10biker »

Check out the Revolut card and app.
I have used this is loads of countries with no problems (apart from the unattended petrol stations as others have said). The benefit of the card is being able to withdraw in a local currency at good rates and if the card gets nicked then it's only got whatever was loaded on it.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Tony , get a Caxtonfx card (pre payment card),you load it before you go and then get money out of the hole in the wall (ATM)in which ever country your in . Its safe and you can also use it to pay for things as you would with a credit card. (thumbs)

Return to “TRAVEL”