money in east europe

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
anthony29040

money in east europe

Post by anthony29040 »

going on a trip to Transylvania next month,going through 7 country's some of them are not euros,i have a visa card which has never been a problem,but just woundered what you lads have done when on travels.i have been told about a pre paid card which is quite secure,but I am quite carful so I am not sure about that.i just don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere and I get the thumbs down for my card at the petrol station.any help would be great.sorry if I spelt anything wrong I should have paid more attention at school instead of waging it all the time lol cheers tony.
catcitrus

Re: money in east europe

Post by catcitrus »

been to Romania a couple of times--they will take Euros---using a debit card in a decent bank should be ok--I recently got Lev in Bulgaria no problem--but choose a high street bank thats open if you can--and use cash for everything else. Running across europe (EU) should be fine--but which countries? I did have prepaid cards from Caxton FX--these you could use to get cash etc and could be topped up and the balance checked with simple SMS. However, they have changed to direct topping up via your smart phone --which needs WiFi--completely defeated the original usefulness where all you needed was a phone signal. I transferred the balance out and tore them up--shame--unless anyone knows of a similar prepaid card system like the original Caxton FX?
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

We travelled to various countries in Eastern Europe and had no problems with a Visa card. We would get cash in the local currency as soon as possible, but Euros are accepted in lots of situations although the exchange rate is not usually very good. OK in an emergency though.
For our Americas trip we mainly used a Halifax MasterCard credit card. This offers fee free spending abroad. My Debit card would have charged just under 3% for each transaction. We saved well over £1000 during the 8 months.
Obviously using a credit card to withdraw cash attracts interest charges from the moment you get the money.
Credit cards are safer in the respect that an amount only up to the credit limit can be stolen.
Pre Paid cards in my experience are OK, but are not always accepted at automatic toll booths, even in France, and and unmanned fuel stations, I found this out at 3 o'clock one morning in Switzerland.....such fun.
I normally set off with cash, Euros, and at least two cards. I don't keep these in the same wallet just in case.
Have a great trip.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I have had same issues with prepaid cards and with regular Visa cards.
Yoyos and 3 cards now for my travels!!
Watch using your card for fuel at auto pumps, a lot of them 'authorise' €110 or more and this stays in place until the actual transaction is processed 4 or 5 working days later. 6 fuel stops in two days means at least €660 blocked off after 2 days on top of whatever other amounts you pay with the card.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

I have been told dollars are accepted in some places,but sussing out exchange rates would be a nightmare.but if they get you out of the shit might be worth taking ?
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

anthony29040 wrote:I have been told dollars are accepted in some places,but sussing out exchange rates would be a nightmare.but if they get you out of the shit might be worth taking ?
If you want "Emergency" money Euros are fine. A lot of places take cards.
You'll find banks and cash machines in towns as apposed to villages.
When are you setting off? Are you heading for the Transfagarasan pass?
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

anthony29040 wrote:I have been told dollars are accepted in some places,but sussing out exchange rates would be a nightmare.but if they get you out of the shit might be worth taking ?
I was going to say something similar, in the former Soviet countries , it used to be the case that dollars were a very acceptable currency, I have no idea if that is still the case.
gspod

Post by gspod »

I think you will be very surprised to how 'civilised' it is over there. Most countries are not much different to western European countries such as Spain in that the towns have nice cafes, bars, restaurants ..... oh yes and bank machines ;)
If you enter a country that is not in the euro zone - get some cash out, depending on how long you're there for or what you're doing will dictate the amount.
Personally we don't get concerned about how much money we're saving with various techniques as we're on holiday and will probably spend a couple of grand - at the most over all - so when touring Eastern Europe the money saved in each country is minimal.
Just pretend you're touring round Britain - get money out for what you need and enjoy (thumbs)
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

SteveW wrote:
If you want "Emergency" money Euros are fine. A lot of places take cards.
You'll find banks and cash machines in towns as apposed to villages.
When are you setting off? Are you heading for the Transfagarasan pass?
hi steve me and my nephew are setting of 15th of june,transfagarasan pass is one of the places we hope to visit,along colditz on your recommendation church of bones salina turda and brans castle,might get to the black sea if we have time.

cheers tony
V2orV4

Post by V2orV4 »

Don't know if you have sorted accommodation in Colditz, but part of the castle is a modern hostel now. We stayed there a few years ago, had a double room with shower etc. Nice experience being in the castle at night, I was imagining all sorts of escape plots etc.
Definitely Best to book a guided tour to get most out of your visit.
If you don't fancy the hostel, a bloke called Ralph owns the small hotel in town and has lots of local knowledge. Only downside staying in the town is hardly any bars/restaurants. Think I only found one and seems to only open short hours.
Steve

Return to “TRAVEL”