Manchester arena bomb

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Dave DRZ

Re: Manchester arena bomb

Post by Dave DRZ »

Incredibly proud of my city and the way it has responded to the attack on Monday. The emergency service response, and the individual acts of kindness from local people trying to help was inspirational. The scenes of thousands of people in Albert Square at last night's vigil were beautiful - mix of ages and backgrounds, wherever they come from, they were all Manc's last night (I'm from Huddersfield originally, but have lived here for over 20 years).
Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Old Git Ray wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:
Mike54 wrote:
threepot wrote:I wonder if the 'powers that be',Europe in general,are expecting us to just accept that is how things are now,and we've just got to accept it? They don't seem to be doing much about it?
What would you like? For Mi5 and Mi6 to publish everything they do? Do you know how many attacks have been foiled? Or do you want to just be a keyboard lion and moan?
I want them to start enforcing the f*#king law.

I want to see all the extremist preachers in prison for enciting racial hatred, anyone who goes to fight for IS done for treason if they come back, and new specific offences around sympathizing with, being in contact with, or practicing fundamentalism or extremism.

How many times in the recent terror attacks have we heard "the terrorist was known to security services and had links to Islamist extremist groups". These people shouldn't be on a watch list, they should be locked up.

To be clear I'm not talking gitmo style internment without trial. I'm talking about finding people guilty of an offence under law, and they will all know that just for sympathising with or getting involved with fundamentalists / extremists, they can end up in jail. Commit the crime do the time just like anything else.

If that drives this ideology underground I don't care, because right now it's f*#king out there brazen as brass and these bastards are laughing at our liberal soft touch.
Great idea and one I have sympathy with. Sadly, and you know this already, as 'qcnr' states, to convict someone needs legally obtained evidence which is absolutely not the same as known 'intelligence'.

To change this system it would need a controversial change in the law. Theresa May is unlikely to do this as she has just overseen a change in the Investigatory Powers Act 6 months ago. Corbyn would never do it as he likes terrorists too much and the others do not know which way is up.

The other option is for Police and the intelligence services to go over and above their legal roles and risk their jobs or liberty.

If we voted in a few less wishy washy wimps then maybe things would be different. Who knows ?
So you lock them up, what do you do when they are eventually released and are even more radical ?

Military on the streets I hope everyone will be behind them if one of them pulls the trigger

How do you kill an idea an ideology ?

it's a sad state of affairs but one I think will be with us for a long time, and from the people I have spoken to there are lots more problems out there

RIP Manchester

cheers Spud ;)
cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

america did and have dt.
steve
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

qcnr wrote:It would require a vast organisation to be able to monitor these people and bring them to justice, based on legal means of evidence gathering
What price do you put on the hundreds of lives of innocent men women and children that have been brutally murdered since Charlie Hebdo.

It's time to stop thinking up reasons why we can't tackle this problem, and start tackling this problem.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

I wish some people on here would wake up and look at this using real facts and not through the eyes of anger and hate!
Let men first say that what happened is disgusting and I hate all such things..I am no supporter of the Islamic nutters.
But how does this compare to the wedding in Afghanistan where some 20 kids were killed by a US dropped bomb?...it wasn't on the TV much so we have forgotten about it. Or the air raid Baghdad where dozens of kids weren killed by a US dropped bomb...gone for our minds I bet.
Do you gents not understand history or read the real facts here? There is one solution to this and that is to get out of the Arab states and let them kill each other..men..women and children.
We in the west have had democracy for 1000 years or so and have had our wars no massacres but the Arab nations are about 100 years old and they have not had this. The cause of this and all the bombs is the west trying to force its values of people who are simply not ready to live like that.
There is nothing that Isis have, are or will do that the Catholic Church has not done in the past few hundred years.
Come attack me all you like but the above is them simple honest truth based on facts not anger.
Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

So the kids in Manchester arena deserved it as it's an eye for eye, tooth for a tooth? No foreign policy justifies terrorism specifically targeted against kids.
PS: people have every right to be angry.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

Mike101 wrote:I wish some people on here would wake up and look at this using real facts and not through the eyes of anger and hate!

Let men first say that what happened is disgusting and I hate all such things..I am no supporter of the Islamic nutters.

But how does this compare to the wedding in Afghanistan where some 20 kids were killed by a US dropped bomb?...it wasn't on the TV much so we have forgotten about it. Or the air raid Baghdad where dozens of kids weren killed by a US dropped bomb...gone for our minds I bet.

Do you gents not understand history or read the real facts here? There is one solution to this and that is to get out of the Arab states and let them kill each other..men..women and children.

We in the west have had democracy for 1000 years or so and have had our wars no massacres but the Arab nations are about 100 years old and they have not had this. The cause of this and all the bombs is the west trying to force its values of people who are simply not ready to live like that.

There is nothing that Isis have, are or will do that the Catholic Church has not done in the past few hundred years.

Come attack me all you like but the above is them simple honest truth based on facts not anger.

Mike
Time and a place

You sir are a complete twat
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Tis true Mike.
We in the west claim moral superiority from the highground and denounce such horrific attacks as the work of terrorists.
Yet the next day drop bombs in the name of freedom...
The world is mad.
And my thoughts are with all the victims of the Manchester bomb :(
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

-Ralph- wrote:So the kids in Manchester arena deserved it as it's an eye for eye, tooth for a tooth? No foreign policy justifies terrorism specifically targeted against kids.

PS: people have every right to be angry.
Nobody deserves to die...adults or kids..and yes being angry is often needed.

But hey let's put the army on the streets and shoot the bad arabs....one dead Arab on the TV will make 100 more in their bedrooms want to get revenge.

I'm no anti war nutter in any way but do we want an eye for an eye or do we want to stop it all from going on and on.

If the kids killed were from senior we would start to see things change.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

bond_yzf wrote:
Mike101 wrote:I wish some people on here would wake up and look at this using real facts and not through the eyes of anger and hate!

Mike
Time and a place

You sir are a complete twat
Just the response I expected to get from you.

Mike

Return to “THE PUB”