Random question about rally navigation gear switches

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mad Hatter

Random question about rally navigation gear switches

Post by Mad Hatter »

I fancy doing some roadbook stuff and I'm looking at all the kit i need, roadbook holder ICO's switches all that jazz. And I'm staggered by the price but i can kind of understand it.
Anyway, i wondering if anyone's got a pin out for the switch gear basically.
Mike54

Re: Random question about rally navigation gear switches

Post by Mike54 »

I sold my rally business recently but still have some (new) kit left. You only need one trip meter to try it, don't get caught up with the so called requirement for 2.
Sorry but I don't understand what "got a pin out for the switch gear" means.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Mike54 wrote:I sold my rally business recently but still have some (new) kit left. You only need one trip meter to try it, don't get caught up with the so called requirement for 2.

Sold the business??? You must be missing all of those 'informed' customers Mike.
I must say, your tone has been calmer on here as late, I was beginning to think someone had hacked your account! LOL
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

Mike54 wrote:I sold my rally business recently but still have some (new) kit left. You only need one trip meter to try it, don't get caught up with the so called requirement for 2.

How come you sold up mike?

I may be tempted to take some stuff off your hands at some point once I've got some cash, too many trips soon and i may want to replace the bike that's just disappeared :(

Pin out is basically just a connection diagram for them and what they do.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Just try it first, hand roll roadbook holder and an app on a smart phone will get you going, then pickup kit as your going along.
Steve
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I got a manual road book holder off here a while back. Not used it but it's decent bit of kit :)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
snaf

Post by snaf »

What roadbook events are you planning on doing? You can get away with very little in the way of kit, a manual roadbook and good trip meter is a starter package. There are apps available for Android/I-phone that do a good job as well for little spend.

If you do want to go high tech it's pretty much a case of chose a manufacturer and the kit these days is plug and play at its most basic but you can add all sorts of extras and complexity.

RB kit

Touratech did have all the fitting instruction on their site once but I couldn't find them, that might be a good place to start with how it's all set up.

Or email F2R and ask for a pdf of the fitting instructions.
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

I've got the manual roadbook holder with a led backlight from F2R and it's great and uncomplicated. Friends of mine have made holders from Tupperware bacon boxes and even a waterproof light fitting designed to be built into a wall :woohoo: mad but they work just fine :P

If you want to start doing your own tulip diagram roadbooks then visit www.donbarrow.co.uk they sell a copy of their software for around £30 which uses Microsoft XL as a base for putting all of the diagrams together, I've converted the instructions for the MCC Lands End trial into tulip diagrams for the last couple of years - I can't be doing with trying to read 6 pages of small text at 4 am. There's also this site which is free for the basic version but tends to put a mark in for every bend in the road - https://www.rallynavigator.com/routes/new

Enjoy yourself, half the fun can be in the planning (thumbs)
Harv

Roadbooks.jpg
Roadbooks.jpg (283.14 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
F2R on the left, light fitting on the right :)
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

I've been looking at the manual ones for a while but i managed to find a tuaratec electric one second hand not far off the same price and the Mrs said get it so i did :laugh:
As for events, I'm not really sure yet, I've got delusions of competence about my off road abilities but complete faith in my stupidity and ability to turn my brain off, it makes me attempt stuff that when my brain is switched on i I own is a bad idea :woohoo: that said i know I'm never going to do the Dakar, but i think I'll never rest easy until I at least try a proper rally but everything starts in stages so something relatively easy and relatively cheap. Relative being the word there because this stuff is expensive.
Its more just another step to my inescapable need to farkle. I've loved the look of rally bikes forever and a day and I've always wanted one so slowly but surely I'm planning on building a cheap imatation :whistle: but I'm from a manufacturing background and trained in electronics and machining, I've got access to a lot of kit and knowledge and as i work nights covering only for breakdowns end up with a lot of time on my hands and a fully kitted out workshop :evil:
It also builds another step into my normal riding, i hate planning anything, except for routes that's my thing really and i normally pick good ones (or at least that's what other people tell me when they're trying to be polite).
As for trips and stuff I've got old phones lying around that will run the apps for them so that's not a big thing atm, but I've got a lot of curiosity about the kit and how its made, like i said I'm from a manufacturing background but i had some sales and purchasing experience thrown in and it makes me wonder about the stuff i buy or at least look at, i know the most part of the prices for this stuff is extensive testing, or at least i hope it is :laugh:
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

That was also much more of a rambling essay than i intended :ohmy:

Return to “TECHNICAL”