Has anyone used a Hennesey Hammock?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Simon_100

Has anyone used a Hennesey Hammock?

Post by Simon_100 »

Mornin' all,

I have an idea that these might be ideal for combining lightweight trail riding and free camping.

Apart from finding two trees at a suitable distance apart, so far the only problem I can imagine would be keeping your riding kit dry, although I guess you could either use your luggage or, better perhaps, carry a lighweight waterproof sack for these.

As for regular camping; I've seen these used in camp sites but it does depend on a) a site with substantial trees that the owner is happy to have 'strangled' by the ropes! b) that the disposition of the plots within the site allows this, i.e. you're not hanging you hammock on the boundary between plots. I've thought of all the camp sites that I can remember and precious few fulfill these criteria!

But there is some hope: I can imagine two riders hanging the hammocks between their bikes, suitably arranged so that the weight bears on the side stands. This arrangement might be as bit flimsy for lightweight bikes but this may be a use for 1200GS's after all - only joking!:evil:

Enjoy

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Redmurty

Re: Has anyone used a Hennesey Hammock?

Post by Redmurty »

Slept in many a hammock in my time, they are very comfortable. But if you add all the gear up it's as expensive as a decent tent. Light weight yes but you may need to carry your own trees around. But saying that I have always fancied one of these. cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Vindaloo

Post by Vindaloo »

Might require some ingenuity to have sex in one of those yokes :huh: ... not a problem for solo camping I suppose.
Selous

Post by Selous »

When I was in the Army we used Hammocks in certain countries :whistle: whilest on LRRP Patrols up to 3 months at a time in the Bush.

we would set up the hammock, then Mozzie net over then Basha (tarp) above that

we would use the Basha & Mozzie eyelets woulds have the same Bungees.

or you could buy 1 off these Bivi Hammocks http://www.ddhammocks.com/products

BTW we would hang our Bergans under the hammock to stop predators at night,

but if you had an otleib Dry Bag or something simler should be well away.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

The DD Hammocks can be used as a small tent on the ground. With a tarp this is a versatile bit of kit.
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Vindaloo wrote:Might require some ingenuity to have sex in one of those yokes :huh: ... not a problem for solo camping I suppose.
Not really it's quite easy ;) , even if your camping solo :S :blush: :whistle: cheers Spud ;)

Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Nice to see him get in with dirty shoes on. Instead of cutting the cords just tie a loop type not in them the water will drip off them. The spreader bars for the netting were a good idea, we used them on the hammock as well. Just under a kilo but you would still need a tarp of some sorts and still have problems with wet gear and other kit etc. Still would love one though. cheers Spud ;)

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Thanks guys,

A lot of food for thought there, especially the link to DD and the idea of converting to a bivvy type set up with a bit of a pole.

Cheers

Simon

PS not sure about the sex business - or the other thing! - one of the challenges of free camping in some parts of Spain is playing cloak and dagger with the forest rangers - all that quivering in the trees is bound to arouse (!) their suspicion :silly:
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

Another good video, me thinks... ;)
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”