Camping newbie!

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Heff

Re: Camping newbie!

Post by Heff »

thebiggestjolly wrote: I'll get some gear together and have a practice run in May
Get youself over to the ABR Ireland Rally then for a full kit test (thumbs) (thumbs)
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Heff wrote:
thebiggestjolly wrote: I'll get some gear together and have a practice run in May
Get youself over to the ABR Ireland Rally then for a full kit test (thumbs) (thumbs)
I would recommend that for starters. Lot of good guys signed up for that and you get a chance to talk first hand about different options.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

zimtim wrote:
Helicoptermanr22 wrote:
A 12v cigar socket extension lead so you can charge your phone and hang up an LED light in the tent is a worthwhile investment, but you need a socket on your bike which is not ignition switched, and no wanking while the light is on!

Ha Ha Brilliant!! I rememner in a camp site on the coast there was a couple really going for it, they left the light on in the tent, there were at least 50 of us all watching. lasted about 15mins, fair play :lol: :lol:

15 minutes the boys a bloody part timer :whistle: :whistle:
Much more fun taking an evening still down the canal - competition time, how far do the ripples spread along the cut...

I'll get me coat! :)

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

When I got my Africa Twin in 2012 my first event was the XRV.org annual bash in September about a week after getting the bike. My first time camping just using the bike. Following advice I bought a Treklite 200 and some foam sleeping pads, took one of the household sleeping bags and a camping chair. Food was bought on site. It got me through but I learned from that and changed stuff.

Tent was changed for a Vango Omega 350 but that takes too long to put up or take down every day so now I have a Coleman XPhad3, the old style one. Now sleep on an Exped Thermarest 9cm ultra wide and long. Bag is a Mamut 3/4 season. Cooker is a Coleman petrol stove or my collection of very small bushcraft wood or meths stoves. Take a tarp and poles for when I'm based somewhere longer than 1 night. Ear plugs for a solid night's kip. Helinox copy chair.
(thumbs)
thebiggestjolly

Post by thebiggestjolly »

I'd love to, but with taking 3 weeks off for the big trip in summer I doubt I'll have the holiday to take from work. Work really gets in the way of fun. :S

But I'll look into it, maybe I can.

Cheers
Jolly
willywombat64

Post by willywombat64 »

I bought a vango galaxy 300 last year after searching for a tent that wasn't too big /heavy but you could stand up in and relax with 2 chairs and a table if weather is dodgy . have a look...not many tents about like it. bought mine ex display for £160 .
pegasso650

Post by pegasso650 »

Here's a piece of equipment that's free take an empty 2 litre milk container saves having to leave the tent during the night especially if your fond of beer empty it in the morning
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Not sure anyone's mentioned but if you're 6.5 you really want to have a lay down in one before you buy. Find the biggest tent shop in your area & have a shmooze around. I'm only 5.8 & many 2 - 3 man tents barely give me enough space to lay flat. You really don't want to be using the porch to stick your head / feet in. You may find you have to sleep in an L :laugh:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
deksawyer

Post by deksawyer »

After using a std blow up mattress for camping trips, today I treated myself to an Exped Synmat UL 9 LW and a Schnozzle Pump Bag (of course!). Cost about £125 all in. Internet purchase so should be here for Fri.

Packs down to nearly nothing, and should actually be more comfy than the mattress......here's hoping anyway. If there's one thing that gets me grumpy now I've reached a certain age, it's not getting a good sleep.

Don't know about you lot, but I'm itching to get away on the bike this year.....

cheers

D.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

deksawyer wrote:After using a std blow up mattress for camping trips, today I treated myself to an Exped Synmat UL 9 LW and a Schnozzle Pump Bag (of course!). Cost about £125 all in. Internet purchase so should be here for Fri.

Packs down to nearly nothing, and should actually be more comfy than the mattress......here's hoping anyway. If there's one thing that gets me grumpy now I've reached a certain age, it's not getting a good sleep.

Don't know about you lot, but I'm itching to get away on the bike this year.....

cheers

D.
Totally agree about getting away, but having spent three weeks on hard ground when my inflatable failed I stick to a self inflatable every time ...
pegasso650 wrote:Here's a piece of equipment that's free take an empty 2 litre milk container saves having to leave the tent during the night especially if your fond of beer empty it in the morning
Bad idea if you ask me - cold pee in an enclosed space ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”