Yamaha Serow xt225 well & truely sorted

If you’re looking to clear out the garage or fill it back up post up your FOR SALE or WANTED here. No commercial sales, just personal stuff.
rodyorkabr

Yamaha Serow xt225 well & truely sorted

Post by rodyorkabr »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Serow- ... Sw-0xYkH~S

The write up nearly sent me to sleep!
catcitrus

Re: Yamaha Serow xt225 well & truely sorted

Post by catcitrus »

Silly money--they aren't that good--but they might get it---there's a Kawa super sherpa on fleabay at the moment for 1k less and its original 201797977635 , and mint--and a better low seat bike?
I'm helping "restore" a Kawa at the moment--took us a little over a day to get it down to a bare frame-- and a quality powder coat of the frame , kickstand, footrests, rear spring and so on is not much more than a 100 quid. To be honest if they are too good then they aren't really suitable for throwing at the scenery (talking about older bikes)--its even harder to throw a new 7k plus bike at the scenery--but people do it--and must have the money to not worry.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I have to say rod you do make a nice job of the bikes you refurb.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Tink

Post by Tink »

Nice job rod (thumbs)

Aren't you doing a small bike trip this year then?
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

A friend over here has a Serow along with a few other bikes including an R69S and I have to say I think they are a wonderful bike for off road. He makes great use of it and to me the proportions are great and the lack of weight a real bonus. If I were going for an adventure bike for trails and so on I would go for this.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
crofty

Post by crofty »

All I can say Rod is if I was looking for a Serow I would buy yours without hesitation. Lovely job.
rodyorkabr

Post by rodyorkabr »

Tink wrote:Nice job rod (thumbs)

Aren't you doing a small bike trip this year then?
I am..I was going to get 06 serows & do them up to the same standard, but unfortunately the prices have shot up. To get a semi decent base,expect to pay £1500+ and then to do up, powder coat, racks,Garmin etc- there is little profit for the amount of work to get a reliable bike at the end.The concept of a budget trip would go out of the window if I had to do up serows now..it's such a shame.

but..silver linings & all that..I am now the proud owner of 08 ttrs, but only need 06- so Im thinning out. The serow goes and so will 2 ttr's...then its onto sorting the remaining bikes for a September trip.
rodyorkabr

Post by rodyorkabr »

catcitrus wrote:Silly money--they aren't that good--but they might get it---there's a Kawa super sherpa on fleabay at the moment for 1k less and its original 201797977635 , and mint--and a better low seat bike?
I'm helping "restore" a Kawa at the moment--took us a little over a day to get it down to a bare frame-- and a quality powder coat of the frame , kickstand, footrests, rear spring and so on is not much more than a 100 quid. To be honest if they are too good then they aren't really suitable for throwing at the scenery (talking about older bikes)--its even harder to throw a new 7k plus bike at the scenery--but people do it--and must have the money to not worry.
That bike looks nice.- I do agree with you about prices & throwing a good bike down a lane...I would expect that Sherpa to be around £1k, but its roughly the same price as a standard drum serow. What puts the ££ on an overhaul is the parts & time. I spent just shy of 6 months on the bike. I shudder to think how many hours I really put into it...still its all experience for the other bikes I suppose!
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

rodyorkabr wrote:
catcitrus wrote:Silly money--they aren't that good--but they might get it---there's a Kawa super sherpa on fleabay at the moment for 1k less and its original 201797977635 , and mint--and a better low seat bike?
That bike looks nice.- I do agree with you about prices & throwing a good bike down a lane...I would expect that Sherpa to be around £1k, but its roughly the same price as a standard drum serow. What puts the ££ on an overhaul is the parts & time. I spent just shy of 6 months on the bike. I shudder to think how many hours I really put into it...still its all experience for the other bikes I suppose!
I agree on time spent--and parts cost--versus market value---basically you are lucky to break even without even counting the hours spent and materials consumed. However, a lot of the fun is actually doing the job in the first place--and you end up with a bike that you know intimately, and one where all the little things that can go wrong have been sorted(wiring, cables, bearings and the like). A recent typical example for me was the Mikuni carb--the float bowl had never been off, and I ended up having to drill off the crosshead screw heads--now replaced with stainless socket heads of course.(and more realistic jets added).
rodyorkabr

Post by rodyorkabr »

For me- I really hate charging high prices..it ruins the market,as I have seen prices shoot up whenever I sell a bike that is has been truely sorted. I know I have lost £ if I add in my time...so I just try not to think about it!
I have also been over the last year to view so many "runs as sweet as a swiss watch" bikes...only to find that they dont know what they are talking about, with the model they are selling. My furthest follie was York to Portsmouth to buy a TTR...I got there and the two main areas I had asked for his honesty(over the phone)- came immediately to light. The repairs I knew would be £500 in parts...not labour..he wouldn't drop that much & so my journey was wasted...still I got a Dartford crossing fine as a memento of the trip- so all was not lost!...
Thats why I now take photographs of any work I do- so I can show work completed with receipts...watch the other serows shoot up in price after mine goes!

Return to “FOR SALE - WANTED”