KLX250 (2)

The Things We Ride
tracker

KLX250 (2)

Post by tracker »

Well I bought a KLX, only as 335 mls, changed bars fitted handguards, rear led lights ordered.
Will be taxed for Feb.
Considering taking it for first service to Kawasaki dealer to have the book stamped he wants £120, just oil and filter!
There was no owners manual or tools with it. Does anyone know what the oil intervals are?
Richard Simpson

Re: KLX250 (2)

Post by Richard Simpson »

Japanese OEM toolkits are usually rubbish anyway...buy the correct tools as you need them.

I think that the first oil change will probably be at 500 miles, then probably at between 2000 and 5000 miles, depending upon usage. If you are on the trails a lot in wet weather it's worth changing the oil frequently. If you will mostly ride the bike on the road and do longish trips then the oil has an easier time.

In choosing an oil, there are two crucial things to worry about: 1) Its JASO rating and 2) its viscosity (ie 10W-40 or whatever...the smaller number denoting its resistance to cold-engine cranking at Winter temperatures and the higher number being its flow rate at working temperatures). Terms such as 'synthetic' 'racing' and 'off-road' are related to marketing rather than tribology. Make sure the oil you buy is suitable for wet clutches...most automotive oils are for car engines only and won't have the sheer resistance that you need for a motorcycle gearbox but will have friction reducers which may make your clutch slip.

Screwdrivers, 8, 10 and 12 mm sockets and spanners + a plug spanner, whatever size socket you need for the oil drain plug, and a decent adjustable should do you for most tasks.

Manual here: http://mototh.com/files/kawasaki/KLX250 ... al_new.pdf

These guys do a fantastic range of tools from quality brands:

http://primetools.co.uk/about-us/

You could probably assemble a decent toolkit for what you've been quoted for a first service.

Top tip...it's worth getting a genuine oil filter and a renewable crush washer for the drain plug for each service.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Chinese 'toolkit' from a high street shop...you won't need half of what's in it and the rest will break or wear out in short order.

And remember to have a means of collecting the old oil as it drains...dispose of it at your local council recycling centre...don't pour it down the drain.
Will

Post by Will »

How do you like the Klx
Bsa A10
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

If you are worried about maintaining the warranty, my understanding is that thanks to EU regulations you no longer have to take new vehicles to a specific dealer, you do however have to use genuine parts. We get my wife's Toyota serviced at the local garage which is about half the cost of a Toyota dealer. There is no reason why you should not do things like oil changes yourself but use genuine filters and keep the receipts if you need to maintain the warranty.
Cheers Jak
tracker

Post by tracker »

Thanks all, thinking get first service 600 done by dealer for the stamp. During a search it seems like 6000mls oil change only wanted to know for the service stamps.I been trail riding over 35 yrs and change oil regularly depending on how hard its been ridden,
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Do you like the KLX?
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
tracker

Post by tracker »

Will be taxing it in Feb so after first service done will be using on the trails. I will update likes and dislikes.
tracker

Post by tracker »

Well the KLX as had its first service cost £102 expensive stamp!
Fitted front mousse today, the rear will be done next week. The rear led light as arrived £5.50 from China £20+ locally they are identical.
I haven't been off road with it yet, hopefully next w/end.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Myself and smudger had new klx's in 2012 and they were great little bikes for trail and road. Although not a proper off road bike,as they are just not up to enduro bike standard! And struggle in really nasty stuff, but as a light green laner they are fine and would hold 70mph on the road all day long! And reasonably comfortable.

Return to “BIKES”