XT1200 S10 Engine Failure

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
JJay51

Re: XT1200 S10 Engine Failure

Post by JJay51 »

DB1200 wrote:A New 2016 KTM1290SA,
lost a fair bit on the XT but I can't be doing with the shocking way Yamaha carry on. There will be those that will say KTM's are "unreliable" but I couldn't give a monkeys :-)
The people that will say KTM's are unreliable probably have clung onto those fears since the late 80's/early 90's when they were less mainstream and did have some issues.

They are however up there as the leading innovator when it comes to design and cramming max fun into a bike, nothing comes close.
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

DB1200 wrote:After a 5 and a half month wait I Collected my Bike with its new engine today, promptly rode it straight to another dealership and got rid of it.

The End. ;-)

IMG_2275.jpg
I don't suppose you removed the tool box before selling it? ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
DB1200

Post by DB1200 »

Afraid not, Just glad to see the back of it :-)
Yoyo wrote:
DB1200 wrote:After a 5 and a half month wait I Collected my Bike with its new engine today, promptly rode it straight to another dealership and got rid of it.

The End. ;-)

IMG_2275.jpg
I don't suppose you removed the tool box before selling it? ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Will

Post by Will »

Glad it's sorted at last wasn't the yam dealer interested in buying it ?
Bsa A10
fraserdog

Post by fraserdog »

JJay51 wrote:
lost a fair bit on the XT but I can't be doing with the shocking way Yamaha carry on. There will be those that will say KTM's are "unreliable" but I couldn't give a monkeys :-)
The people that will say KTM's are unreliable probably have clung onto those fears since the late 80's/early 90's when they were less mainstream and did have some issues.

They are however up there as the leading innovator when it comes to design and cramming max fun into a bike, nothing comes close.
And Sam Sunderland won the Dakar on a KTM not a Yamaha (thumbs)
DB1200

Post by DB1200 »

A KTM 1-2-3 ME Bitter ? definitely not ;-)
fraserdog wrote:
JJay51 wrote:

And Sam Sunderland won the Dakar on a KTM not a Yamaha (thumbs)
DB1200

Post by DB1200 »

I did try that avenue but I think they wanted shot of it as much as I did !
Will wrote:Glad it's sorted at last wasn't the yam dealer interested in buying it ?
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Sorry to hear of the hassles ref your Yam. All bikes / toys are great until they go wrong and its not only yamaha that can treat customers badly on a major break down as Ive found out
GB

XT1200 S10 Engine Failure

Post by GB »

Ive just read this post from start to finish, I was really surprised at Yamahas stance on this, I always thought it was the european manufacturers that took this attitude. I also thought the s10 was bombproof but like you say it was a freak one off. Every industry makes mistakes or has problems it just depends how you deal with them, and yamaha has dealt with them poorly. Good luck with your KTM, I have moved to Husqvarna (KTM really) from BMW, done 11000miles on my first one with no issues and now 3000 on my second one, I suppose it would take a problem to see what the after service is like, fingers crossed hey.
Finally back on a GS :D
DB1200

Post by DB1200 »

The whole thing was all a bit of a farce.

The very large and well known "Non Yamaha" Dealership in SE London that supplied the Bike weren't interested when the Engine failed after just 2,000 Miles and became pretty arrogant at one point.

My local Dealership told me The warranty on the new engine expires at the same time as the Bike Warranty (Feb 2017) so I not only lost 5 and a half months of my Bike Warranty but the new engine effectively has only 3 weeks warranty left.

4 Months ago I would have been more than happy to write the Bike off and do a deal on a new one (taking into account that mine was not new) and I would happily contribute to the cost.

The one thing I must point out is that my local Yamaha Dealership have been very good to me over the years and I have a lot of respect for them, they have said to me that they are "Embarrassed" by the way that this has dragged on and a number of their staff have apologised on a number of occasions (I'm still waiting for the Yamaha apology). If they ever change Manufacturer I'd buy a Bike from them tomorrow and will continue to buy "non Yamaha" products from them.

My advice to anyone buying a "Nearly New" Bike is this.....

Buy from the Manufactures Dealership

If You can - Pay By Credit Card (or at least pay the deposit by Credit Card) you have a lot more protection this way.

P.s
The support and constructive comments are very much appreciated (thumbs)

Return to “TECHNICAL”