Portugal Advice Please

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
gbags

Portugal Advice Please

Post by gbags »

I'm looking at a ferry down to Santander then into Portugal.
It'll be my first time there so I'm looking for good bike roads, places to visit and must-visit towns.
I'm thinking of about April. Is that the best time?
Thanks.
Tramp

Re: Portugal Advice Please

Post by Tramp »

They speak french if you dont speak portuguese...spanish is a no no.... :woohoo: ...i liked braganca ...ibiz is great with securs pariking and nice town centre with food..then went by the twisty roads to oporto ...very scenic and quite ..

The picos is worth a detour for if its not raining in april...around 3 or 4 hours to braganca....

A few portuguese guys on abr...also the adv european page is good...friendly folks and just go with flow.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Portugal has every kind of road/trail you could need. So you might have to be a little more specific as to what your looking for, also how many days will you be away from home?
I'd say the north will still be cold in April but the roads around Manteigas in the Serre da Estrela national park has what Bike magazine call the Portuguese Stelvio http://www.ride.co.uk/routes/
Moto clube Porto are holding a rally 8/9 April. Around the Douro valley are some excellent tarmac routes, further down following the N2 will take you past Evora through the centre towards the Algarve.
South of Lisbon is the old monastery of Cabo Espichel and is where many of the biker from the city hang out, there's also a splendid cafe there
gbags

Post by gbags »

Thanks to both of you.
Time: I can leave when I want so do you think I can do better than April?
We're two up one 800cc bike. I love mountain roads, don't particularly care about beaches but we do like lazy cafes and bistros. If the hills will be cold in April we can push it back a bit.
We have a few weeks to play around with.
We will hit the Picos on the way in or out and we'll head back up through France on the way back.
We'll also camp and use booking.com for hotels.
Any more suggestions?
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Have you considered going down through France and back from Santander on the ferry.
I ask this because the long ride home could feel like an anticlimax after Portugal, Picos etc.
Going down that way you'll still have all the up coming excitement of your trip, and then relax and unwind a bit on the boat going home?
We were in Portugal last April/May and found some superb places to stay on Booking.com Some of the prices were very good for the quality.

Michelin maps are superb at showing scenic routes, those lined with a green line (you probably already knew this bit....)

Just a couple of thoughts for you. Have fun.
knobblyneil

Post by knobblyneil »

Fifth trip to Portugal next month, most Ibis have secure underground parking in Portugal, we tend not to plan anything, head for the green roads on the Michelin map and follow any trails we can find, start looking for somewhere to stay about 4 pm if theres not an Ibis nearby. Monsanto is a place we will definitely go back to this year we stayed in the Taverna Lusitana, its like stepping back in time and if your feeling energetic theres a Celtic / Roman fort at the top with great views. The roads and trails are superb.
-Ralph-

Portugal Advice Please

Post by -Ralph- »

Serra da Estrela worth a visit. I've been there in August and it's 6 degrees at the top, so don't worry about that, just take some warmer gear.

Generally April is fine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I am slightly biased but as a frequent visitor I can recommend Chaves for an overnight stop, plenty of history and excellent roads. Evora also has picturesque scenery and the IBIS in the centre of town has a secure garage onsite, and charming small local cafes nearby. Try to avoid going over the 24 de Abril bridge at Lisbon especially during rush hour instead take the vasco de gama bridge towards the east. Both get horrendously busy but the vasco de gama less so. It maybe a little too cool for the beach but sao martinho do Porto is nice along with Sesimbra south of Lisbon.
Sao Martinho do Porto
Tal 1

Post by Tal 1 »

Hi,

I live in central Portugal and I think you'd be fine in April as Spring here can start as early as March but to avoid any possible rain I would say May would be a far better month ( coming through northern Spain in April can still be cold over the high ground ).I live in the mountains and ride all year, as even in winter once the sun's up we still have temperatures of between 15 and 20 degrees.I have ridden all over Portugal and the mountains in the north and central regions provide great riding roads, the Alentejo region is also wonderful riding. If riding the trails is your thing we have trails absolutely everywhere some easy some not so easy, you'll be spoilt for choice !
Hope this helps. B)
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

Tramp wrote:They speak french if you dont speak portuguese...spanish is a no no.... :woohoo: ...i liked braganca ...ibiz is great with securs pariking and nice town centre with food..then went by the twisty roads to oporto ...very scenic and quite ..

The picos is worth a detour for if its not raining in april...around 3 or 4 hours to braganca....

A few portuguese guys on abr...also the adv european page is good...friendly folks and just go with flow.
funny i always speak spanish cause i dont know anything else and have no issues, prob cause they know iam not spanish, but like north south spain
steve (thumbs)

Return to “TRAVEL”