European Trip

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
HDv955

European Trip

Post by HDv955 »

Hello, I would like some help and advice please,
My son (Rocket) and I (Tiger 800)are hoping to do a two week trip in Europe this year, we live in Bathgate which is half way between Edinburgh and Glasgow so its a far hike before we land on European soil, My son has an idea of riding along coast roads in the sunshine and I like a bit of mountain stuff, (4 years ago we did the Himalayas on Enfields).
Does anybody have any suggestions please.
Best regards

Dave Hall
crofty

Re: European Trip

Post by crofty »

If its sunny coast roads and mountains you want ferry to Santander is a good bet. provided you can hack the 450 miles down to Portsmouth to start and finish.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

crofty wrote:If its sunny coast roads and mountains you want ferry to Santander is a good bet. provided you can hack the 450 miles down to Portsmouth to start and finish.
That's just what I was going to say,if you are planning on riding to the south of England anyway.Base yourself in the Picos or Pyrenees or ride across the south of France and back up the Route des Grande Alps.
mac10biker

Post by mac10biker »

Hi Dave (thumbs)

I am just along the road in South Queensferry and last year I took the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam and then the Santander to Plymouth ferry when I came back. Got to say that the ride from Plymouth is definitely a slog, especially in typical British summer weather. I came back in August and it rained within an hour of being back on the road :(

Have you thought about transporting the bike to Spain. Depending on where you are going there are track day companies that might take it and there are now occasional Scottish pick ups from all the lads at Knockhill.

I am doing Morocco at the end of this year and the plan is either to call Kev @ Focused Events or load the bike in the van and then drive to Plymouth.
HDv955

Post by HDv955 »

Thanks for the reply mac 10biker, I have been to Morocco maybe ten years ago and my wife and I did over 2000 kms albeit in a hired Renault Clio which we picked up in Agadir but I do have some good tips on places to visit if you are interested
HDv955

Post by HDv955 »

Thank you, I will check this out, all advice is welcome
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Unless there are bike shippers based north of the border, then the the OP will still have quite a ride to one in the north of England. iirc eurobiketrans at Bradford ship to Irun and Barcelona in Spain, and Porto in Portugal.
But with cheap flights from Scotland to at least 2 of those destinations, it may be the best option.
I'd consider spending the weekend before riding down to the north of England, dropping the bikes off & having the bikes shipped over to mainland Europe then flying out to maximise the time available
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Another option. Ferry from Scotland to Belfast. 100 miles south (motorway if you wish) to Dublin Port, then an overnight ferry to France.
mac10biker

Post by mac10biker »

HDv955 wrote:Thanks for the reply mac 10biker, I have been to Morocco maybe ten years ago and my wife and I did over 2000 kms albeit in a hired Renault Clio which we picked up in Agadir but I do have some good tips on places to visit if you are interested
Absolutely, any info most welcome. Just PM me any ideas and I will add it to the list (thumbs)

Cheers
crofty

Post by crofty »

Flintlock wrote
Another option. Ferry from Scotland to Belfast. 100 miles south (motorway if you wish) to Dublin Port, then an overnight ferry to France.
i live close to Edinburgh too and this is my choice this May. Only instead of Dublin i am carrying on to Rosslare for the overnight ferry to Roscoff. the only problem is the OP said sunny weather and Ireland and North Europe can be a gamble.

Return to “TRAVEL”