Heated Clothing

Does my ass look big in these?
Bluebird

Heated Clothing

Post by Bluebird »

Is anyone out there using Heated clothing with rechargeable batteries? I need a new heated vest, but would like to be able to use it for cycling as well as motorcycling, hence the reason for a battery type. I know this is a more expensive way to go, but like the flexibility.
Any feedback would be appreciated both negative and positive.
Oop North John

Re: Heated Clothing

Post by Oop North John »

I've got one of these:

http://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/item3559.htm

Batteries last about 4 hours at medium, and the suit isn't bulky, ie not warm in itself which I like. Got mine at the NEC show a couple of years ago when they were doing good deals. Extra batteries aren't cheap, about £50 IIRC. I just love the not having to faff with wires when getting on / off the bike and in-between, only improvement for me would be a remote controller for it, but then many of the bike powered ones don't have this feature.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I'd choose heated gear that comes with batteries as an optional extra rather than batteries as the primary power source.
nethen1

Post by nethen1 »

Keis vest is brilliant, battery last for about 4 hours on full heat. also comes with power point off the bike, its saved me loads of times !
Are we stoppin for a brew !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHnqi2JsFoNCV6ktRGEOVXQ/playlists

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppp :)
phillh

Post by phillh »

I have the oxford battery powered vest. Light, comfortable and battery lasts well.

I wear it on walks too when its really cold. (thumbs)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

nethen1 wrote:Keis vest is brilliant, battery last for about 4 hours on full heat. also comes with power point off the bike, its saved me loads of times !
ditto. (thumbs)

Battery is not cheap, but it looks as if some of the cheaper jump start battery packs will run with the vest. However, be careful and use a controller...

I am surprised the OP wants a heated vest on a cycle though, I am warm enough just trail riding, let alone me providing motive power!! :whistle: :whistle:
Bluebird

Post by Bluebird »

SteveR wrote:
nethen1 wrote:Keis vest is brilliant, battery last for about 4 hours on full heat. also comes with power point off the bike, its saved me loads of times !
ditto. (thumbs)

Battery is not cheap, but it looks as if some of the cheaper jump start battery packs will run with the vest. However, be careful and use a controller...

I am surprised the OP wants a heated vest on a cycle though, I am warm enough just trail riding, let alone me providing motive power!! :whistle: :whistle:
If you cycle the coastal cycle path in winter like I do, a heated vest would be very nice, plus the fact I am getting older!!!!!
Jockser

Post by Jockser »

Had a Gerbing for a few years but the controller kept failing & now the jackets knackered

So I bought a Keis at the NEC. Came with a remote too
Haven't used it yet but hopefully at the weekend....
simonw

Post by simonw »

Gerbing told me once that one of the problems with the battery powered range is that people don't condition the batteries through the summer. They then get to winter and find the batteries are flat and won't recharge (because they're too flat). Worth bearing in mind if you do go the battery route. (thumbs)
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

Right, I need some warmth and I'm going to go for a heated vest, with collar.

Now, as I'm cold "quite a lot" I want to buy good quality so it lasts and will pay a bit extra if needed.

Gerbing seem to be promoted as the best, is that the case? Would be another £50 or so for jacket and controller compared to a Keis or oxford.

But they do say lifetime warranty on the heating elements.

My aim is to have a portable system of some sort for using off the bike, do I need to take anything into account for that? I would like to use a lightweight lithium battery such as fitted to KTM/Husky motorcross bikes cos they are very light and seem to work! Or something similar.

Thanks for any advice :)
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701

Return to “CLOTHING”