BMW R65 - what can you tell me about them? .......

The Things We Ride
Emf#53

Re: BMW R65 - what can you tell me about them? .......

Post by Emf#53 »

I'm thinking about styling it something like this:

BMW-R65-1600x861.jpg
BMW-R65-1600x861.jpg (24.24 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Emf#53 wrote:
I'm thinking about turning it into a café racer style - something me and the girlfriend can pootle about on - but I'll skip the massive mirror on the engine bars like the one in the picture - not sure what good it serves other than for the rider to admire himself :)[/quote]

That does beg the question of which bit of himself he feels the need to admire ... :whistle:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

I had a 1979 R45 for a couple of years and around 50,000 miles back in the early 80's. Reg was BKW 311T. :cheer:

The good bits first: paint and overall finish was excellent. Big tank = 250+ miles. Easy to work on and service. I didn't have problems with the points or shorting anything. All day comfy. Excellent toolkit, in fact I still have most of mine

Bad bits: R45 is underpowered but R65's were much much better. Centre stand bushes wear. Carbs difficult to balance and stay in balance. Front brake was very weedy, but I think R65 had twin disks so should be better. The clutch / shaft is very direct and needs a lot of clutch use to ride smoothly at low speed.

Thats all I can remember except that after thrashing it down the A10 from Cambridge holding it up at the redline for about 15 miles it dropped a valve. This was actually easy to repair once I got the right parts from BMW although I probably ought to have got the combustion chamber/head repaired properly.
Chasbmw

Post by Chasbmw »

check out all the half finished projects on Ebay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lots of failed projects out there and most of them look the same.

why are babyshit coloured seats so fashionable now?
Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

Chasbmw wrote:check out all the half finished projects on Ebay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lots of failed projects out there and most of them look the same.

why are babyshit coloured seats so fashionable now?
Just had a quick look for half finished projects on eBay but can't find any - can you put a link please.

Cheers (thumbs)
pegasso650

Post by pegasso650 »

Check under the seat as the seat pan on mine had rusted badly and new ones are not available as far as I could find out I managed to weld the old one back together wit new steel and get it reupholstered. Great little bike

Return to “BIKES”