Glenelg Sunday 17th July

Mortlachman

Glenelg Sunday 17th July

Post by Mortlachman »

Hi All, am planning to get across to Glenelg this coming Sunday. Will be at the Furness junction on the Dava Moor at 11:00 if anyone wants to RV. Route is Dava, Cawdor, Culloden, Insches in Inverness, Dores, Foyers, fort Augustus, then turn off to the West at Invergarry onto the A87 then turn off at Shielbridge to Glenelg. Weather isn't too promising but waiting for a good day might be 2012!
Don't ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Mortlachman

Re: Glenelg Sunday 17th July

Post by Mortlachman »

met up with Steve T at the Ferness junction in warm sunshine, a few clouds in the sky and warmth for once. Over the Dava, past Cawdor and Culloden and a quick stop for me to top up at Tesco Insches Inverness, still inunusual warmth and sun. Followed the Dores road and then on towards Foyers, that's when we realised that the West had been subjected to serious rain during the night, the road was in places still awash often 4-5 ins deep, there were fallen trees (or washed away ones?) red clay mud and stones the size of mandarin Oranges making for some pay attention riding. Stopped at teh Cafe in Foyers for a brew and the falls well below the Café were roaring like thunder!! Still sunshine though so we set off to Fort Augustus and down to Invergarry, a few miles along and the heavens opened and the clouds came right down. Got to Shieldaig bridge and I talked myself out of turning left to visit Glenelg just to turn round and come back so we headed North up the coast in heavy rain to Strath Carron where once again all was warmth and dry. We looked across to the Peninsula and Applecross seemed the best bet so off we went. Got halfway up the pass of the Cattle when the clouds came down and made everything dissapear. We could just see a car higher up the pass, he had pulled in, lights on waiting for a break in the clouds so he could see the road. Turn back was the sane option we reckoned.
Headed up the coast to Torridon, then to Kinlochewe, Achnasheen, Garve and down to Sneckie. tesco and shopping was on my list and visiting a mate was on for Steve so we parted in the car park. Not a bad day out all in all, bit of everything and got home in sunshine - - - - result I would say.
Don't ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
LargeWayRound

Re: Glenelg Sunday 17th July

Post by LargeWayRound »

Nice one Andy .. Sounds like a nice day out .

Summer !! in Scotland can be unpredictable ..

I was out for couple hours Yesterday up Deeside . Got soaked beside Ballater then up to Braemar was lovely . Coffee and Cake the shot back into Aberdeen .
Got soaked again at Ballater . LoL

Thanks for sharing your day oot .

LWR

Return to “Scotland”