Waterproofing maps

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Mac 60

Re: Waterproofing maps

Post by Mac 60 »

Fablon is very effective, used rolls of the stuff on maps when i was in the military.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Clear self adhesive vinyl off a well known auction site, you can buy it in wider rolls than fablon (which is just clear vinyl) Don't get stone chip guard as it's too thick, but good for protecting wear areas on bikes.
Or ask at a local sign company as they may have a laminator for laminating prints with clear vinyl.

Steve
Chasbmw

Post by Chasbmw »

I don't really want to go down the lamination /Fablon route as the maps I'll be dealing with are Michelin road maps, that I want to fold and refold so the relevant bit can be stuffed into the map window in my tank bag .

Just trying to make the maps a bit stronger so they can stand being folded and unfolded when damp without falling apart.
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Honestly maps arent expensive....renew every euro trip and learn to trust a satnav....i carry a small waterproof euro map...fits in my waterproof backpack perfectly...tankbags suffer from condensation i found.
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

I just use the tankbag window. Havent found an issue with condensation tbh but the window on mine is quite small. Works well though.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Depending on which areas you want the maps for, there are maps available that are plasticised. Although an old series for Germany, Austria & Switzerland there's the Motorrad Generalkarte series of motorcycle touring maps https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb ... eutschland
if anyone has the above map #18 of the series and wants to sell it let me know
However fitting maps into a tankbag is a PITA due to the odd size of the map pocket, A4 is to big to fit in, A5 is too small to read. So my solution was to print off the map sections I wanted from the via Michelin website, then cut them to a size that fitted the map pocket, laminating 2 maps back to back, so when I did the RDGA I had a stack of around a dozen numbered 1-12 etc in order, so all I had to do was either flip the top one over, or slip it under the bottom one. A pack of 25-50 tesco A4 basic laminate pouches only cost me £4, & the maps where free
bowber

Post by bowber »

Peirre wrote:So my solution was to print off the map sections I wanted from the via Michelin website, then cut them to a size that fitted the map pocket,
I do this for trail riding then I'm not bothered about getting them wet or wrecking good maps.

Re buying new maps each time, it's a good idea as they aren't usually very much on top of the whole trip but we tend to mark good campsites, cafes etc on our maps and keep them to use if passing through the same area.

Steve
Chasbmw

Post by Chasbmw »

In the end I sponged the rear of my maps with a Nikwax product and left them to dry.

The maps feel more substantial and I think that will hold up better especially if it's a bit damp.

Find out next week as I'm off to Spain
BIG BILL

Post by BIG BILL »

In my old army days we used candle wax, lye the map on a flat surface and rub the candle wax on using the candle on it's side.

I'm old and it was a few years ago but I'm sure it worked.

Don't hold me to it.

BB
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..
BigBashBonanza

Post by BigBashBonanza »

BIG BILL wrote:In my old army days we used candle wax, lye the map on a flat surface and rub the candle wax on using the candle on it's side.

I'm old and it was a few years ago but I'm sure it worked.

Don't hold me to it.

BB
But one thing you didn't mention Bill, was back in those days, maps where printed on slate ;)
Look Large, Be Massive

Follow the Sapper

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”