Recommend a rain cover

The essential art of farkling.
Fishandchips

Recommend a rain cover

Post by Fishandchips »

Hi guys,

I have a MT09 Tracer with top box and I need a rain cover to last the winter.

The one I have now does not cover the bike properly and pools water.

Any suggestions on brand and what size I might need please.

I have seen them online but they just say xl and xxl with no size indication.

Cheers Garry
Peirre

Re: Recommend a rain cover

Post by Peirre »

As you state it has a top box, I'd think you'd be needing something spec'd for a tourer unless you can detach the box. But with s tourer (XXL) sized cover you should be able to fix a small lock to the cover under the bike to stop the wind lifting it, and to stop the curious taking a peek. Also if you use a cover be careful where you park it as its not unknown for the cover to act as a sail in a breeze knocking the bike over
DaleC

Post by DaleC »

I have 2 Aldi/Lidl covers and a Hein Gericke cover that are all quite a few years old now.

The Aldi/Lidl variants are cheap as chips (£10ish?) when on offer, appear to be too light/thin of a material but have lasted for years without tears, no pooling of water or leakage when fitted snugly, are enormous (I think one size fits all?) and covers my F800GS with vario panniers and top box nicely. The second one swims over my XT660R without luggage. For the minimal price asked, I recommend (thumbs)

The Hein Gericke is size specific (superbike to 1000cc, from memory) was bought to cover my Ducati 8 years ago and is a much heavier weight material that is supposed to be "heat resistant" so as to cover the bike immediately after riding (ie *hot*). Not sure if HG is still around, or if the quality is as good? This feels like a much higher quality product, but I paid £30 (or so) back then. This will cover the F800GS with luggage (just), but will not extend to the ground.

Not sure if there is anything helpful in that lot for you? :)
Keyboard Adventurer! :D
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

http://oxford-shop.co.uk/cat266_1.htm

oxford do the stormex ... (best)...[not cheap .. £85]
and rainex (good and lighter and cheaper) ..
I got both but cover each of them with a cheapy (£10) to keep the uv down as it destroys bike covers.

the aquatex is the best shape for you, in this range, but the aquatex don't last unless you stop the uv getting to them .. falls apart in u hands after a year in the sun (well daylight anyway).

[[the stormex and rainex would need the top box removed though.]]

the shop you buying from will tell you the size needed for your bike .. I usually go a size larger to let the air circulate, but the correct size is snugger (snugger?)
Big Yellow Tractor

Post by Big Yellow Tractor »

When I used to leave a bike outside under a cover, I made a "ridge pole" out of a bit of 3x2 that clipped to the middle of the handlebar and sat on the rear of the seat. It stopped water pooling, cats sleeping on the bike and I think it must have helps with ventilation. I also used some clippy things whose name escapes me to add some more tie points.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I've got an R&G sportsbike cover on my bike but they also do adventure bike covers.Heavy duty and about £45.If you look for them on Ebay you will see the dimensions listed.
Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

+ 1 for the Oxford Stormex - it's the best cover I've found if your bike is going to live outside.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Halfords own brand are good (thumbs) .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
nevsey

Recommend a rain cover

Post by nevsey »

Best cover I have used is this one http://www.dustoffcovers.co.uk/waterproof_hd.htm
Good prices, waterproof and we'll made.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

nevsey wrote:Best cover I have used is this one http://www.dustoffcovers.co.uk/waterproof_hd.htm
Good prices, waterproof and we'll made.
This is the one I have

Return to “ACCESSORIES”