Cooling vest - anyone have one ?

Does my ass look big in these?
SSchultz

Post by SSchultz »

Do they actually work, worth the money? Looking at a particular brand- HyperKewl, the ones you soak and then wear. There are also helmet inserts, neck bands, even dog coats :)
Just purchased a cheap cooling wristband but before buying a vest I want to know if they are any good or more of a hassle.
Heff

Re: Cooling vest - anyone have one ?

Post by Heff »

johnnyboxer wrote:I was out with a lad with one last Tuesday - when it was 30c+
He just doused it under the tap & put it one under his jacket

He said it worked

It looked like he'd pissed himself all over his keks - not a good look in the chippy

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Depends on where you are going to use one...

I have one (Hyperkewl_ and have used it in Spain for the HISS on two occasions under a mesh jacket and I reckon they are bloody brilliant if temps are above 28-30C especially on slow speed trail riding. Bimbler also had one (on my recommendation) under an adventure style jacket and also found it hugely beneficial.

Not used it more than once or twice here in the UK, but if I had been riding this week, I would have had it with me ;) Have used it for the odd summers day trail riding here, but it is not really needed that much here in the UK :(
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

I was out with a lad with one last Tuesday - when it was 30c+

He just doused it under the tap & put it on under his jacket

He said it worked

It looked like he'd pissed himself all over his keks - not a good look in the chippy
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Mawnanian

Post by Mawnanian »

I got a Bilt vest when in the states, it cost about 30 dollars and it does work. The trick is to only dunk it for a few seconds otherwise it takes on too much water and you get a wet crutch which isn't unpleasant when it's 100F but as has been said can be embarrassing when you stop for a coffee.
SSchultz

Post by SSchultz »

Thanks, guess I'll have to buy one now. Don't know how I managed to come so far without one as anything above 14 C is 'too bloody hot' for me anyway.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Another vote for a techniche hyperkewl
As stated it can look like you've pissed yourself with water dripping down the crack of your ass, especially if you over do the soaking, but a little practice and you'll get the wetness balance right. I got some strange looks while standing at the hotel reception checking out with water dripping around my feet (tena for men anyone?)
Initially I started using it early in the morning before the full heat of the day (Murcia - Mojacar - Granada July 14) and I found myself shivering as I was using it with an HG full mesh suit, full mesh is recommended for the maximum effect. So I'd suggest stashing it in a carrier bag or roll top bag atop your roll bag for easy access when needed. I'd also suggest wearing a thin baselayer such as UA heatgear to maximise the wicking effect. If you can stretch to the extra £'s get the long sleeve version rather than the vest, but these are rare in the uk. IF your wearing it while stood in traffic or walking around town where there's very little airflow crossing the surface of the jacket, it could start getting warm (boil in the bag effect)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

The carrier bag, preferably a good quality large one from someone like Lidl, works well to keep the vest in when wet! I too have attempted hyperthermia from using one too early (or in high mountains) and leave it off until needed now. I wear a cotton t shirt under mine, it is not a food idea to have the vest next to the skin!!

I have never seen one with arms, but IMO, if the body core is cool the rest will usually be OK. What we need is something better than pouring water into the helmet!! :laugh:
PankGS

Post by PankGS »

I just put on a wet t-shirt does the job and a lot cheaper.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

PankGS wrote:I just put on a wet t-shirt does the job and a lot cheaper.
Having tried the T-shirt method I can assure you the vest gives better results

Return to “CLOTHING”