fitting a sidecar

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
motorbike

Re: fitting a sidecar

Post by motorbike »

scubabiker wrote:thinking of buying a sidecar for my GS, never fitted one before, but i seem to recall something about a steering damper being neccessary?
anyone got any input on this subject for me?
moto al on this sight has had a lot of experience with sidecars
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I would suggest going on the Federation of Sidecar Clubs website, there is a lot of useful information and links on there. Whether you need leading links or not depends on the bike and the chair that you are fitting to it. There are quite a lot of GSs out there with chairs on, although they are more popular in Europe. If you went to the Feds National rally in the UK you would be lucky to see 100 outfits, the last rally I went to in Germany had about 1300. As other people have said, it is a whole different ball game to riding a solo. If you go abroad it is even more entertaining as the chair is on the wrong side and set up for the camber being the other way round. having said that I have ridden 10s of thousands of miles in Europe with no issues.
Enjoy
Cheers Jak
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

Treadtrader wrote:I've had a couple of outfits.

All the disadvantages of a car and bike, without any of the advantages.

But they are good fun and everyone should try one at least once. :woohoo:
Yep, Agree with this post. Same thing can be said for Reliant Robin. :laugh: :laugh:
A mate did a Clarkson and rolled his on the first down hill bend. :laugh:

Best of luck with your plans. Go for it, but do keep a tally on the cost. It won't be cheap.
scubabiker

Post by scubabiker »

thanks for the replies,
I dont have a car licence and i have bad joints, so i thought a sidecar would be the natural way for me to go, or maybe a trike, but i saw a decent sidecar for sale cheap that would bolt right onto my bike as its already fitted to another BMW R100.
i guess i should ride one first to see how i get on, my grandfather in law has a vintage M72 outfit that i can try out if i change a tyre for him...
its not so easy for me to get hold of a sidecar either as i live in norway and the rules here are a bit dumb, it will need registering again and inspection, so i would need to fix a few things before that even.
i would like a custom made one, but here everything is double the price of the UK, so a sidecar outfit will normally set you back around 4 grand or so....
its all just ideas at the moment, i might even sell the GS to be honest, i just dont get on with it with my health you know?
hmmm much to think about
scubabiker

Post by scubabiker »

anyway, heres a pic of my last trip on the worlds ugliest bike next to the worlds most beautiful and longest fjord....
as you see my bike is a bit beaten....
scubabiker

Post by scubabiker »

Return to “TECHNICAL”