Question for the ex-pats

Bikers and riding
g00ner

Question for the ex-pats

Post by g00ner »

Can my lad join me in Spain or France this year on his Derbi Terra 125 using his provisional licence? I've tried researching this already with conflicting answers, the most likely appears that only the UK recognise a UK provisional license, a full licence will be required to ride in Europe.

Can you lucky bids living abroad confirm either way? It would be great if he could come along this year..
skipper

Re: Question for the ex-pats

Post by skipper »

PROVISIONAL WILL NOT BE ACCEPTABLE.
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

It's not the rules in France or Spain but the terms of the UK provisional licence.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Chas and Skip are spot on... My lad wanted to ride in Eire on a UK provisional licence on his 125 last year ago, it was not to be.

We were hoping that old legislation that "appeared" to allow UK licence holders to ride/drive on a UK provisional, subject to the same requirements as UK law, but this had been phased out some years before when the common European legislation was adopted. The Gardai (I was told) were unlikely to give a hoot if he had ridden in from NI, but there was enough uncertainty to scotch the idea! He passed last Summer, so Germany here we come in June!!
sohoeasy

Post by sohoeasy »

There is legal work around to this. I was able to drive a vehicle through all of Europe from 1976 till 1980 with only a provisional licence although whenever I returned to England one or twice a year I had to be met by my dad at Dover to drive the car in the UK,but that wouldn't be a problem with a bike. PM me and I'll let you have the full details ( the rules may have changed since then but I doubt it ) .
g00ner

Post by g00ner »

Thanks guys, thought as much but worth asking. Have to consider a UK tour instead (thumbs)

Enjoy Germany with your lad Steve!
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

Is he old enough to have a full Category B car licence? If he does then Spain allows him to ride a 125cc motorbike on it. The French however require you to have their version of the CBT these days.
Happiness has 125cc ...

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”