Going Pear Shaped!

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
MarkN

Going Pear Shaped!

Post by MarkN »

I posted a couple of days ago about the butterfly flap sticking in my exhaust. After a few goods replies and some reading and research, I decided to replace the valve with a piece of pipe bought from Nippy Normans for £29.

£29 was a lot better than paying the £350 +fitting that I had been quoted for a new one - or so I thought!!

I ordered the part on Sunday evening and thought I'd start to take the exhaust to bits today (Tuesday). After loosening the end can I started work on the clamps on either side of the valve. This proved a bit tricky so admitted defeat, got in the car and went to Halfords to buy a set of Star Point drivers (£22) rather than mess around with the "allen"key type I had. Got home put the T45 on the end on my ratchet wrench and proceeded to snap the bolt head off, this also happened to the second one.

How do I get them off now? decided to get my Dremel out and cut the bolt, only problem, no grinding discs left, get in the car and drive to B&Q to buy some more £5

Get home and manage to get the clamps off. Glean up the exhaust and get everything ready for the rebuild. I then order two new clamps (£20 inc P&P)

So far this little bit of pipe has cost me £76 plus my time and a drop of diesel!
oldoak

Re: Going Pear Shaped!

Post by oldoak »

But it is building character?

Been a few times when I've been down farmer Freds and hes got the oxy acetalene out on my bike to loosen up some sized stuff and I thought...... This was going to be a happy hour of fettling in the garage. That was 6 days ago.....
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

+ 1 .................and its still cheaper and you have to admit it better than watching telly and i bet you enjoyed doing it anyway (thumbs)
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

just think of how good you will feel when its all sorted,and your going to save over £300 so that got to be worth a couple of hours work. (thumbs)
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

Did you soak the offending bolts with wd40/pen oil etc a couple of times for a few days as advised prior to trying to remove ?

the bolt heads shearing off is rather common on this job unfortunately fella
When nothing is going right - go left
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Beginning to think that some manufactures are using 20 p cast bolts.
You know the type, they look good but are manufactured by some high speed injection process and are so hard you cannot cut them with a hacksaw, very brittle.
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

wait for me wrote:Did you soak the offending bolts with wd40/pen oil etc a couple of times for a few days as advised prior to trying to remove ?

the bolt heads shearing off is rather common on this job unfortunately fella
I sprayed load of oil on the bolts, all to no avail. They had been on there for three years and were very corroded. A bit of a pain but it did mean the bike got some shiny new bits added. (thumbs)
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

Here's the finished job, I'm very happy and the bike sounds so much better complete with the Akropovic end can (thumbs)

Grim Reaper

Post by Grim Reaper »

If you haven't done so already, get some nickelslip or coppaslip on the threads now before they get a chance to corrode.
IainD

Post by IainD »

May not make much difference, but I would have fitted them with the bolts at the top, less muck splashing about them and easier to add a drop oil now and then.

More importantly, the writing would be the correct way up (thumbs)

Return to “TECHNICAL”