Numb thumb

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
andymac

Re: Numb thumb

Post by andymac »

Buy a throttle rocker, you don't have to grip the throttle, I've used one for years.
Screenshot_2016-01-02-22-37-57.png
Screenshot_2016-01-02-22-37-57.png (386.74 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
work hard,,,,,,,,,,,play harder !!
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

There are two threads running just now about vibey twins (numb bums and tingling bars)...here's a thought...twins are intrinsically vibey (V-twins being the exception)...try a triple! :P (thumbs)
Elle

Post by Elle »

- check the gloves aren't too tight at the wrist.
- check there's room in the fingers as air will keep them warm and allow movement
- use a throttle rocker as suggested especially for long journey's, I swivel it out of the way for town work so I don't accidentally push it into super-drive :woohoo:
- avoid cotton socks, perspiration will keep your feet wet and cold - instead, wear technical or merino fibres as they will allow your feet to breathe
- man up! you're a biker ;)
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Different, grips, bikes, gloves, sounds like the problem lies with you. Could be carpal tunnel or such like, but I'd suggest your just gripping too hard and cutting off the blood supply to your thumb.

Two hours is a long time to be sitting in one position on a bike anyway, and if you don't have a cruise control device you cant rest or flex your right hand in all that time, it's not really surprising things start to go numb. Take a break, it's not a race or an endurance test.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

do you get the symptoms any other time ?

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
johnnyboy

Post by johnnyboy »

I had the pins and needles effect when I got my gs800, I bought some beemer buddies from america,cost about 28 quid, made a great improvement for me,
Just an idea,
scubabiker

Post by scubabiker »

+1 on the cramp buster throttle aid thing, i have very bad circulation and have nuropathy in my hands/fingers, no feeling most of the time and pins and needles when i ride, that throttle aid makes a huge difference and its a cheap option.....
threepot

Post by threepot »

sprintster wrote:There are two threads running just now about vibey twins (numb bums and tingling bars)...here's a thought...twins are intrinsically vibey (V-twins being the exception)...try a triple! :P (thumbs)
There might be some truth in this? My first 'big' bike was a GSX750f. Very 'buzzy' engine! Within half an hour of riding,both my hands would suffer from 'pins and needles'. For the last 20yrs I've been riding Hinckley Triples,and never seem to notice any discomfort.
Beepee

Post by Beepee »

What handlebar bend are you using ?
I had a similar problem on my Ducati Monster 1100s, changed the bars to a higher and different bend, sorted.
Check out Pro Taper or the like.
Sit your clenched hands on top of the bars in your natural position and see if the bars line up with your grip, if you get my drift.
If they don't then try a different bend.
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

Thought I'd revive this as the problems still here, change bikes to a Tiger 800 roadie and still get numb thumb, tried some bar risers, still the same problem, next I'll have to try a throttle rocker.
One thing I do know is that from ridding trials I always have my index finger extended over the brake lever and don't tend to grip with my thumb? Different gloves haven't made any difference as does winter or summer etc
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315

Return to “TECHNICAL”