Fly Tippers

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Africa John

Re: Fly Tippers

Post by Africa John »

Hopefully I am responding to you guys constructively trying to put the viewpoint from the other side of the fence. I don't want to rile anybody into a slanging match.

I know this kind of issue really pisses people off and I do not downplay your concerns or strength of feeling.

I just feel that if I'm the guy who sets these kind of rules I should stand up to the plate and defend my profession and try to explain the challenges we face when setting them.

John (thumbs)

And it terms of where the money goes the order of spend from highest down is:
[ol]
[li]Education[/li]
[li]Social care[/li]
[li]Waste management[/li]
[/ol]
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Africa John wrote:
AndyB wrote: I can't legally dump household rubbish in business skips either so where does that leave me if I'm not allowed to take it to the recycling centre in my van?
You can. The legal prohibition is only the other way. The skip is paid for so the cost of lawfully dealing with the contents should be covered in the fee.
I probably should have made that clearer in that I can't chuck it in skips where I work (power stations) because their licences all exclude household waste. Now to me that's a bit strange because an empty box is an empty box whether it comes from my new dishwasher or from a supply of gaskets for a turbine but I've seen the licences and they're very clear.

Anyway, boxes became irrelevant to a degree after we recently moved because I'm allowed to have a fire so in the end I burned a load and threw the debris into the stream where it would be washed away and not ruin my view over the fields behind us (thumbs)
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

AndyB wrote: Anyway, boxes became irrelevant to a degree after we recently moved because I'm allowed to have a fire so in the end I burned a load and threw the debris into the stream where it would be washed away and not ruin my view over the fields behind us (thumbs)
I'll get me coat !!
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Africa John wrote:
AndyB wrote: Anyway, boxes became irrelevant to a degree after we recently moved because I'm allowed to have a fire so in the end I burned a load and threw the debris into the stream where it would be washed away and not ruin my view over the fields behind us (thumbs)
I'll get me coat !!
Wait until I've got another fire going and the heat from that will mean you don't need a coat.
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

It's not just large amounts of rubbish that fall foul. I found an old cracked roof tile in my garden, so when I went to the tip with some other stuff, I took that along too. The blokes at the tip ran over and gave me a really hard time and said the roof tile was builders waste so was chargeable - £5 !!!!! They got quite nasty about it.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Those tiles usually end up on the graded lanes anyway round here!!! (not even that broken up either!!) a right pain in the proverbial!
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

sprintster wrote:
Flintlock wrote:A pet hate of mine as well, as is any type of littering.
My daughter learnt to put rubbish in a bin from when she could walk.
Its the way they were brought up.
Same here,even seeing someone flicking a fag end out of their car window winds me up.I'm just waiting for the time someone does it while I'm sat at the traffic lights behind them on my bike and it will be flicked straight back into their car! :pinch:
Slinging a colilla out of a moving vehicle gets three penalty points on your license here - but I bet there's never been a prosecution!

A few years ago I was following a fire brigade jeep along a trail - the nice guys pulled over as soon as they could and waved me on through, but not before ... I'll let you guess!

Africa John - thanks for taking the time and trouble for answering all of these points!

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

dibbs wrote:Those tiles usually end up on the graded lanes anyway round here!!! (not even that broken up either!!) a right pain in the proverbial!
Yep,

I ran over a few yesterday :lol:
one-legged adventurer
Reeferman

Post by Reeferman »

In Hampshire you can apply to the County council and get a permit, FOC, to use a van or large trailer once a month to take domestic waste to the local tip. I have used these on many occassion without any problems.
A bad days fishing is always better than a good day at work.
I should change the picture to the WR250F but a bit of confusion is OK.
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Africa John wrote:
AndyB wrote:Fly tipping is a disgrace but the councils really don't do enough to offer an alternative.
Well as it's my job to set these policies I'll take you up on that.

The law is quite clear - if you're a business you must store your waste safely, transport it legally (be licensed by the EA) and dispose of it responsibly to a licensed third party. You cannot take it to a council recycling site/civic amenity as that is only for household waste of the residents residing in that council area.

Now put yourself in the place of one of my site attendants who has to ensure the safety of the public and site, security of machinery and compliance with the site's permit. Some bloke turns up in a sign written van belonging to a business with a boot load of rubbish claiming it's from his own home. The public purse has to pay for this and I am not going to pay for rubbish that some business should lawfully pay for to go somewhere else. That bloke on the site gets sworn at every day because people are pissed off with our rules and he needs clear rules to be allowed to get on with his job so I make one thing easier by saying sign written vans are not allowed.

The public purse should not have to pay for businesses trying to avoid what they should pay for. Everyone on here bitches about big companies avoiding paying tax. Well this is the same for me but on my doorstep.

Right - next bitch or moan step forward please (thumbs)
In Warwick/Leamington/Stratfords Biffa ran recycling centre its not just sign written vans its any van, even van derived cars like a fiesta van or car derived vans like a vw t4 people carrier, also cars with trailers.

You say its to save the public purse as we shouldn't have to pay for it, but that's a false economy as that person who gets turned away from the tip, who was trying to legitimately recycle their waste then goes and dumps it in a lay by.
Its then collected by a contract company like Violia, at a far greater rate to the tax payer than it would have cost to just allow the person to use the recycling facility in the first place.
But now instead of it being recycled it gets tipped straight in the waist for landfill.
At the same Biffa site the guy wanted to recycle it in.

The council seriously need to look at a system to allow non trade waist to use the recycling centers. Like ANPR and monthly usage or something.

Return to “THE PUB”