A new way to navigate

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Arthur Pint Motor

Re: A new way to navigate

Post by Arthur Pint Motor »

OK let's say we all agree to meet at honeybees.flush.gather. but one of us thought is was honeybees.flash.gather???
Putbinoot

Post by Putbinoot »

Arthur Pint Motor wrote:OK let's say we all agree to meet at honeybees.flush.gather. but one of us thought is was honeybees.flash.gather???
Anybody that can't get 3 words right deserves to be lost in the arse end of no where.
Arthur Pint Motor

Post by Arthur Pint Motor »

Putbinoot wrote:
Arthur Pint Motor wrote:OK let's say we all agree to meet at honeybees.flush.gather. but one of us thought is was honeybees.flash.gather???
Anybody that can't get 3 words right deserves to be lost in the arse end of no where.
Did you mean arse.end.nowhere ??
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

Oh cool, Who could remember this then ?

oberkörper.teilen.holte

:laugh:
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
Putbinoot

Post by Putbinoot »

Arthur Pint Motor wrote:
Putbinoot wrote:
davsato

Post by davsato »

very clever, fine while its in arabic type, but if it was chinese or thai etc youre back to "square one" (did you see what i did there?)
Dave
BikesAndTravels

Post by BikesAndTravels »

I can agree with the pros and cons but overall I think this is a fabulous idea! As with any format it will be the rolling out that will be the hardest part. Then of course a rival will make their own grid...
Bikes And Travels
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Putbinoot wrote:
Arthur Pint Motor wrote:
Putbinoot wrote:
Sadly I just checked and there is no 'arse.end.nowhere'

Pity, I was wondering if Anglesea race track would pop up.
-Ralph-

A new way to navigate

Post by -Ralph- »

What happens when everyone knows what the words are, but one person can't spell it?

Usually when I really need to navigate, I'm in the middle of nowhere with no Internet connection, but I have something in my hand that understands GPS co-ordinates and can see the satellites in the sky.

If I need to find a mate that's wild camping, how are three words going to help me, and how is he going to find out what those three words are because he probably doesn't have a great data signal either? What he's going to do is give me the co-ordinates off his GPS device.

If I have the luxury of internet connection I have the time and luxury of planning in advance, time to get address, postcode, GPS co-ordinates, print off a map, pre-programme the sat nav.

This is a fad IMO. It's only useful when everyone is sitting in their living rooms. We have a tried and trusted method already, and taking out a pencil and writing down 12 numbers, is no more difficult or prone to error than three words.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
snaf

Post by snaf »

I did think it might be helpful if some land marks actually used the names.
Big.Ben.London or sydney.opera.house or statue.liberty.island

The last one works but it's not even in the same state an oversight but I guess it can not be changed now.

Return to “TRAVEL”