Where To Stay And Visit - Northern Ireland

rwa.martin

Where To Stay And Visit - Northern Ireland

Post by rwa.martin »

For the October half term my wife and I, plus two of our kids (16 and 14) are planning a visit to Northern Ireland for the week.

We'd really appreciate any ideas/opinions on what are "must see" and "must do" things, plus any recommendations on good locations where we can base ourselves would be really helpful.

Given that it's going to be getting dark fairly early, maybe a location on the coast or in a small town where we can take a walk in the evening to go see something happen might be better than a remote cottage.

We enjoy good scenery, historic sites (castles, NT places), good walks and decent cafes rather than pubs and nightlife.

Mountain biking, kayaking, climbing are all interests but probably not for this trip.

The north Antrim coast (Giant's Causeway) is on the list already. I'm keen to pop over the border and have a look into Donegal too.

I've got a long term plan to cycle/motorcycle the length of the Irish border sometime so I might do a bit of scouting of that too.

I'm busy going through the trip reports to see whats good and I need to get a copy of Mooreso's book as well. However, anything you can add to the equation I'd be really grateful for.

Thanks in advance!

Rich.
bonanza

Re: Where To Stay And Visit - Northern Ireland

Post by bonanza »

Stayed at Smugglers Inn a couple of times, just outside Bushmills and a mile from Giants Causeway. Nice place and not too expensive.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

bonanza wrote:Stayed at Smugglers Inn a couple of times, just outside Bushmills and a mile from Giants Causeway. Nice place and not too expensive.
And very near to Dark Hedges, if they are into Game of Thrones. North Antrim coast road and Torr Head are great on a bike but for passengers in a car it may not be the same so plenty of stops. Seafront at Ballycastle is nice and also a good place to stop off.

And, weather permitting, ferry day trip to Rathlin Island from Ballycastle.

Down is great too, a lot of nice places along the A2 coast road from Newry all the way round to Belfast and Strangford Lough, take in Portaferry, Warrenpoint, Bangor and more. Newcastle area is good and not so far from the Mournes and Hillsborough Castle. Make sure you get to Newcastle on a Sunday morning, it's bike mecca and a great time for breakfast. You could spend a day at Hillsborough but as a teenager I hated being dragged into places like that but its definitely better than most.

Lots of nice cafes at Newcastle and we have had some excellent tea and scones there but also had the same at Hillsborough, Ballycastle, Bushmills, anywhere we wanted really.

Generally into camping, even in September so can't advise on accommodation but have seen some nice stuff at Meelmore Lodge and Tollymore Forest Park.

Belfast has Titanic Experience and there is underground car parking there, we had Sunday lunch there.

Keep up the research because with kids they may not want to do 100 miles every day and the odd day off is nice. The roads are good but best savoured rather than as a fast route from A to B. With a flexible plan you can move around a bit and use 2 or 3 bases. I would probably have one in Down and another Antrim/Bushmills. Getting lost in Down is a fantastic experience but like everywhere weather will influence your final choices.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
andyruss

Post by andyruss »

With the right weather all along the north coast is lovely. Plenty of places to visit and good walks.
This was Murlough Bay yesterday
DSC_0358.JPG
DSC_0358.JPG (42.63 KiB) Viewed 3081 times
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Ballintoycottages.com

Have stayed in Lemawilkin cottage a couple of times and was good (several years ago mind)

In Ballintoy village-a pub and hotel. Has a new play park and is beside Carrick a rede rope bridge. Also Ballintoy harbour and the costal path leading to Whitepark Bay beach (National Trust).
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

andyruss wrote:With the right weather all along the north coast is lovely. Plenty of places to visit and good walks.
This was Murlough Bay yesterday
DSC_0358.JPG
Ha the same stainless steel copper base cookware I also use and find excellent....Vango in my case. With a view like that and a day like that sure you wouldn't even leave it to go to a pub.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Moorso
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@alternate-road

Post by Moorso »

Hi Rich

I'll try to help as best I can....have included links for everything as well...
:)

There are two National Trust properties in Co. Down:
Mount Stewart House and Gardens (recently extensively rennovated).
Castle Ward (also used as the set of Winterfell in GoT).

There is also Rubane House near Portaferry

There are forest parks in Co. Down and Antrim...see links below:
Co. Down Forest Parks
Co. Antrim Forest Parks

The main National Trust properties are in Fermanagh (Florence Court, Castle Coole etc). So it depends if you want the drive (they'd be approx 2hrs from Belfast by car).

There are several nice large Anglo-Norman castles (the rest would fall into the smaller Towerhouse type, but many are still worth visiting!). The Medieval village of Ardglass is worth a visit, from which there is a nice drive down the Co. Down coast towards Newcastle (passing through Dundrum) and then onto Rostrevor and the Mournes.

Dundrum Castle
Carrickfergus Castle
Greencastle

Hope this helps
(thumbs)
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
rwa.martin

Post by rwa.martin »

Thank you all for everything so far. It all looks good and I'll be plotting it all on the map tonight.
If you think of anything else, I'd be most grateful.

Rich.
Moorso

Post by Moorso »

Although not Anglo-Norman....I forgot Dunluce Castle!!
top-images-9.jpg
top-images-9.jpg (284.31 KiB) Viewed 3081 times
Other National Trust Properties (not in Fermanagh) include:

Rowallane Gardens
Murlough Nature Reserve
Downhill

There are also a number of worthwhile ones in Armagh / Tyrone such as
Ardress House and
The Argory
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'