Anyone used the Channel Tunnel recently?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
geordy paul

Re: Anyone used the Channel Tunnel recently?

Post by geordy paul »

close it until they can.
Just the tunnel? Or all points of entry and exit?
nuttynick

Post by nuttynick »

Hi all, I work in France so travel on a daily basis, all times of the day and night. I also live along the M20 corridor :-( If op stack is on, it will depend on how bad the delays across the channel are as to what parts are shut. Phase 1 is always 8 to 9 coast bound though, so the A20 is the logical route, and no problem on a bike if you allow more time. No matter where it's shut, it's always open from 11 to allow traffic to the tunnel. Dock protesters blockading the tunnel cause delays during the day, migrants cause delays during the night. Eurotunnel even stopped the service overnight last week for a few hours as the migrants were on the tracks. It changes on a daily basis, but if anyone wants a real time update feel free to PM me ;-)
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

anyone see the immigrant on telly last night, managed to get over and the bbc had been tracking and interviewing, gets to the uk nice flat money till they process him, when ive lost my job got fuck all cause i had some funds tried to sign on the paperwork was unbelievable so did not bother, this country and goverment is a joke
give em nowt and tell them to go home and fight for there own country

steve
MR X

Post by MR X »

fullerton wrote:anyone see the immigrant on telly last night, managed to get over and the bbc had been tracking and interviewing, gets to the uk nice flat money till they process him, when ive lost my job got fuck all cause i had some funds tried to sign on the paperwork was unbelievable so did not bother, this country and goverment is a joke

steve
(thumbs)
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I know we need to have tighter controls on immigration but do you think we were wrong to take Jewish refugees fleeing from Germany before WWII?
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

micksea wrote:am i missing something here.....is it just the hgv"s that are being delayed? i haven"t seen or heard anything about long lines of cars and bikes waiting to cross the channel,trying to decide which way to go at the beginning of september.im hoping to use the tunnel for my transporter van
It depends on the 'delay of the day'. Today one of the two bores (tunnels) was closed for an inspection and the delays crept up to over 3 hours for cars/bikes. At 9pm it's now 'only' a 60 minute delay.

Tomorrow it could be more would-be visitors crushed on the line and a subsequent hold-up, or it could be French strikers setting fire to tyres.

Latest info: http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/latest/

Oh, and you think we have problems? Germany has had 79,000 'refugees' arrive in the month of July and reckons it will process 400,000 this year.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

MR X wrote:
fullerton wrote:anyone see the immigrant on telly last night, managed to get over and the bbc had been tracking and interviewing, gets to the uk nice flat money till they process him, when ive lost my job got fuck all cause i had some funds tried to sign on the paperwork was unbelievable so did not bother, this country and goverment is a joke

steve
(thumbs)
thought you were shipping them north :whistle:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Roadcaptain

Post by Roadcaptain »

used it twice last week, no delay going out, 1 hour coming back, didn't see a single immigrant
nuttynick

Post by nuttynick »

If you're planning a trip, then don't book late night or early morning crossings. Most problems happens when it gets dark and the migrants use the darkness to try to enter the site. Then follows a large game of cat and mouse with security and police, normally stopping the service as they are on the tracks. The mornings restore order, but then it takes time to catch up on delays. My suggestion would be to travel after 1000, and return before dusk.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

That's a bugger. We booked an 08:20 departure for Friday morning. Luckily our return is around midday on Monday so they should be ok by then.

Return to “TRAVEL”