Who let the dogs out.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
captinktm

Who let the dogs out.

Post by captinktm »

I have seen many posts here and on other sites saying how dogs are a problem in remote areas in some countries, this is not my experience at all. I have ridden miles in most European countries including Turkey for 7 years and have been chased by many dogs none of which ever bit me.
Nigel

Re: Who let the dogs out.

Post by Nigel »

Used to get chased regularly by a farm collie whilst mountain biking, not a problem until one day I really wasn`t in the mood so a swift clout across the nose with a water bottle cured the problem ;) never chased me again :laugh:
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

What is it with dogs & bikes :S
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

Pack animals - two choices: herd it or shag it - do you have ankles that look like the sexy bits of another collie? :-)
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

vRSG60 wrote:What is it with dogs & bikes :S
We had a great dog in Turkey on one particular route, he would here me coming and arrive at the same corner every time, just in front of me then race me for about 3km flat out. I could never overtake him as he would always close the gap. made a change from being chased.
Grimetime

Post by Grimetime »

I found it quite exhilarating.. better than Police :woohoo:
Doug Haywood
SSchultz

Post by SSchultz »

That looks like Romania.These are shepherd's dogs,when they don't chase bikes and backpackers they fight wolves or corner a poor bear.Slightly smaller dogs will chase you in every single village and even some towns.So when in there always wear long mx boots :cheer:
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

SSchultz wrote:That looks like Romania.These are shepherd's dogs,when they don't chase bikes and backpackers they fight wolves or corner a poor bear.Slightly smaller dogs will chase you in every single village and even some towns.So when in there always wear long mx boots :cheer:
Yes this is Romania, yes these are shepherds dogs but I bet they have never seen a wolf or a beer for that matter!
And to say there are smaller dogs that chase you in every single town is rubbish, just not true.
I live in Bulgaria and this is just not the case. Perhaps your riding too slow :whistle:
SSchultz

Post by SSchultz »

"even some towns" doesn't mean "every single town",Rambo. I lived there for 30years but of course you know better.And there are more wolves and bears(still) in Romania than you have pickles in Bulgaria.
Now why am I here
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

SSchultz wrote:"even some towns" doesn't mean "every single town",Rambo. I lived there for 30years but of course you know better.And there are more wolves and bears(still) in Romania than you have pickles in Bulgaria.
Now why am I here
Hey what's all the Rambo shit? I tell it how I find it. I've done thousands of km in Romania, Bulgaria, and Turkey both on and off road, and never been bitten! Fact. Nothing remotely Rambo about that.
Any way better still send me a resent photo of these wolves and bears.

I stand by what I say the dogs are not a problem. I spend a lot of time riding and walking in the mountains of all 3 countries and have never seen any evidence of bears or wolves, which of course is a crying shame.

Please reply without the abuse or don't bother.

Return to “TRAVEL”