XT660Z Wheel(s) upgrade

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Kinioo

XT660Z Wheel(s) upgrade

Post by Kinioo »

Afternoon All,

I have just heard from my local garage where I took my bike for a rear wheel bearing replacement that its not just the bearings its the whole hub might need replacing.

This is probably due to the fact that previous bearings (when my hubs were re-painted and re-assembled) were not fitted properly etc...and ruined the whole housing.

Anyway,

I think it might be a time for some upgrade for better rim / wheel.

I am thinking about something with excel rims talon hubs ??

What do people do / go for ??

What options do we have now on the market ?

I font want to spend 1k on a wheel ??

Your suggestions / opinions folks ??

Cheers,

Chris
AndyB

Re: XT660Z Wheel(s) upgrade

Post by AndyB »

I've got Excel rims with Talon hubs but they're criminally expensive if you pay list price. They're worth it for the wider range of tyres and the fact that they have captive spacers fitted but unless you can score them second hand for a reasonable price it's not a cheap modification.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Forgetting the idea of new wheels for a minute; how bad is the hub? Just because a dealer won't take responsibility for Loctiting bearings into a hub there's no reason why you shouldn't do it as long as they're not cracked or worn more than about 0.2mm
Kinioo

Post by Kinioo »

AndyB wrote:Forgetting the idea of new wheels for a minute; how bad is the hub? Just because a dealer won't take responsibility for Loctiting bearings into a hub there's no reason why you shouldn't do it as long as they're not cracked or worn more than about 0.2mm
Thanks AndyB,

No its my local (trusted) independent garage. I dont take my bike to the main dealer anymore !!!!

They did a good job, they managed to fit new bearings into the hub using old method i.e. punching the bearing housing and press the bearings in so the hub eats into the bearings etc. (not good description I know).

They say I might last a life of the bearings if I am lucky and no need for new hub in near future.

This only got me into thinking about upgrading I planned anyway.

Its all good for now but the question re: upgrading options still stands.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Using a pin punch to pockmark the hub is old school and works fine. I'd not bother worrying about changing wheels because of it.done it loads of times.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).

Return to “HOW TO..........”