glasses and helmets

Bikers and riding
skipper

glasses and helmets

Post by skipper »

After an eye test today I have been told that I need to have glasses for both distance and near vision. Having no experience in this field I was hoping some of the glasses wearers on here may offer some advice on what to buy for riding. ie comfort in the helmet,bi focal, single, etc.
zimtim

Re: glasses and helmets

Post by zimtim »

Got to pick up my vari-focals later this week. I am in same boat as you and after talking to a few people reckoned this was the way to go.
I know there are a few others on here who will be able to advise and views on their experiences.
Allan F

Post by Allan F »

Skip, I were varifocals with light reactive lenses. The reactive lenses are not essential, just suits my requirement. As for wearing them with a helmet. Never really had a problem. Best thing is to take your helmet along when you go for your fitting. The optician will make adjustments to suit.

Regards Allan
Biquad

Post by Biquad »

I use Bi-focals and I have had the bottom, near vision part made higher up so that I can focus on my GPS by simply looking down without moving my head. Just look straight forward and distance is in clear view. Specsavers give a good service and price.

Steve
legoman

Post by legoman »

im in the same boat. remember to get glasses without any rims or with very thin wire around as you don't want the rims to obstruct your vision..most important.. plus at spec savers they heated up and bent the piece that goes around your ears inwards. so as to make it go with the contour of my head. which increases the grip to your head and comfort. if you don't get this done the normal way glasses are they go straight on in a line off the back of your head if you know what I mean. and this will flex the arm and give discomfort.. put some glasses on if you can and put your hands over the back of your ears and press and feel what I mean. people that wear them know what I mean.. and also get anti glare is a must.. while your there get a metal glasses case to keep them in for when your off the bike cos you don't want to break or bent them in your pocket with a cheap plastic or rubber case. cos they cost to much.. sorry for the long windedness
(thumbs)
Dirtmonkey

Post by Dirtmonkey »

I have been using varifocals for four years or so, they take a little getting used to but now are perfect for me on the bike, in the car, or anwhere else for that matter.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I've been wearing varifocals for 10yrs+ & I find the best option is a flip front i.e. a Multitec then I can put the helmet on & remove it & keep my glasses on :)
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Gavinskii

Post by Gavinskii »

For road riding glasses are fine for off road I much prefer wearing lenses.
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award
Dirtmonkey

Post by Dirtmonkey »

lancashirelad wrote:I've been wearing varifocals for 10yrs+ & I find the best option is a flip front i.e. a Multitec then I can put the helmet on & remove it & keep my glasses on :)
Shoei have put some thought into it, I have a Neotec and it's sculpted to accommodate the arms, its the best helmet I've used with glasses.
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

have a look at Shark range they do a little logo for helmets suitable for use with glasses called shark easy fit

This link is for the Explorer lid, the little logo is in the bottom left corner

http://www.shark-helmets.com/product.ph ... HE5900EDSK

I am sure that the other manufacturers do a similar thing

hope this helps (thumbs)

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”