The Green Party on Motorcycles

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Zappa

The Green Party on Motorcycles

Post by Zappa »

A small extract taken from their current transport manifesto. But the rest is worth a read too.

Motorcycles

TR320 Smaller, low powered motorcycles are generally preferable to cars (especially those with a single occupant) as they take up less road space and are more economic consumers of fuel. However, the Green Party does not wish to see increased use of motorcycles because they emit pollution and noise and can endanger road users. The aim is to encourage much less use of high powered machines and for low powered machines to offer an alternative for those who currently use these or cars and could not transfer to more sustainable modes.

TR321 The Green Party would take measures to encourage a transfer of motor cycle manufacture and use from larger, powerful machines to less powerful ones including scooters and mopeds. These would include setting and enforcing strict noise limits and, for higher powered machines, speed limiters.

TR322 For the safety of other users, the Green Party does not feel it appropriate for motorcyclists to be able to use any priority measures put in for pedestrians and cyclists, including those shared with public transport.

http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/tr.html
I feel beneath the white there is a red skin suffering from centuries of taming.
Mul001

Re: The Green Party on Motorcycles

Post by Mul001 »

jibbering eejits, sigh :whistle:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

That's not ideal. I've no idea who to vote for next time...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
bowber

Post by bowber »

Partially agree for transport to work but "because they emit pollution and noise and can endanger road users" FFS, still banging on about noise and as to endangering road users?

After spending a few weeks in Thailand I'm even more pissed off with the attitude of stopping people endangering themselves. If i want to do something that endangers my health or life then that's my decision.

Steve
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Do they actually think they ever stand a chance of getting in power with crap like that.

I really would like to debate this with the Green party.

Maybe this could be an ABR article..ABRers meet the green party and chat about the truth rather than lies and rubbish.

Next they will be telling us all to stop breathing for half of each min to stop the output of CO2..this will of course reduce the green house gas effect and save us all.

Finally knitting will become an Olympic sport and F1 will be pedal power only.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Mike101 wrote:F1 will be pedal power only.

Mike
I'd watch that, the pitstop stategy and overtaking would be much more amusing (thumbs)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
threepot

Post by threepot »

Is the current g'ment biker friendly?? Tax seems to creep up on a regular basis :angry:
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Don't worry, the stupid woman who is their leader this week totally screwed up on the radio this am.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31600324

:evil:

There are a number of very obvious threats and problems facing this country at the moment, and most of the parties are pretty much silent about them.

It's been a bad day for the greenies today: the Indian guy who is in charge of global warming has had to resign.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-31601122

I seem to remember that some time ago he made up a fairy story about there being no ice in the Himalayas in 10 years time or something as well.

They had snow in Miami Florida last week, the global warming is really starting to bite!
Tonydurham

Post by Tonydurham »

After hearing the embarrassing interview today with the Green Party leader Natalie Bennett on their housing policy I somehow don't think we have much to fear from the Green Party !
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

Just fired this off ... I'll hold my breath to save some CO2 while I wait for a reply.

Chrz Mul

[email protected]

Dear Sir / Madam,

I have just read with interest paragraph TR322 of your Transport manifesto.

I would like to review the citations referring to published independent statistics which back up the alleged claim that ... For the safety of other users, the Green Party does not feel it appropriate for motorcyclists to be able to use any priority measures put in for pedestrians and cyclists, including those shared with public transport.

As a considerate motorcycle user of circa 20yrs plus I have direct relevant experience; that contrary to your policy the use of such priority measures do not have a deleterious effect on others and therefore far from any perceived threat to others this policy would have the direct effect of actually decreasing the safety of motorcyclists. Policy TR322 is thus flawed and should therefore be revoked.

I look forward to an early reply.

Regards

Return to β€œTHE PUB”