Yuasa Motobatt or Powerline

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Cleo

Yuasa Motobatt or Powerline

Post by Cleo »

I'm trying to think what to go for, I've had yuasa for years but not the others, I want a good cca, motobatt and poweline are the highest with 160 and 180 with yuasa at a mere 130.

It's to start a single cylinder suzook 650, the one that was in was a poweline (180cca) but for some strange reason my mate's friend (who I don't know) had to jump it from his car as it didn't spin quick at all despite only being 6 months old.

Does a high cca matter in a battery I've never heard of or is it the way they're made.
Richard Simpson

Re: Yuasa Motobatt or Powerline

Post by Richard Simpson »

Just to throw something different into the mix....I put one of these

http://www.odysseybattery.com/extreme_b ... specs.aspx

into my hard to start KTM 950 many years ago.

It's plugged into an Optimate at least some of the time, and still cranks like a good un.

If you know the KTM, the battery is slung low in front of the engine, and gets all the dirt and water going.

It's slightly smaller and lighter than the standard Yuasa, but is better in every way.

And, it's made in Britain!
Cleo

Post by Cleo »

Never heard of them either....but only the first would fit (pc310) but it's only 100cca, that's near enough half of the one I've got
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Bought 2 moto batts previously for two different bikes, of which neither lasted more than 2 years. Gone back to yuasa, o/e equipment on many bikes for a reason, now 3 years on both doing well! You need the correct CCA for the bike though.Hope this helps Nige.
almar

Post by almar »

Put a motobatt on my sertao having read good things on the ADV (sertao thread) have had no problems to date.
Cleo

Post by Cleo »

I know I need the right cca but is 180 not nearly enough for 650 thumper, as the yuasa is only 135 and motobatt about 160..... Having said that, what is the right cca for this thing as so far I can't find it (same engine as DR650)
chrisjk

Post by chrisjk »

Not answering your question but somewhat relevant. I bought one of those Lithium jump-starter gadgets at the bike show in London Excel last weekend and as luck would have it, got to try it out on my 2.5 litre Volvo on Monday morning. It's an old car and the battery is in poor shape. The jump starter worked flawlessly and started the car easily.

I bought a jump starter that was advertised as suitable for gasoline powered cars up to 5 litres or 3 litre diesels. It's a bit bigger than I would ideally like to keep on a bike "just in case" but a smaller version, about the size of an iPhone 6 plus but 50% thicker was available. That was said to be good for all motorcycles and gasoline powered cars up to 3 litres.

Starting amps on these things - 400!
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

180 CCA is plenty enough rating to turn and start the bike assuming everything else is in order, and there is no current loss through to the relay, starter motor etc. I think the oe dt s were only rated around 140 if I remember correctly. Nige
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

180 CCA is plenty enough rating to turn and start the bike assuming everything else is in order, and there is no current loss through to the relay, starter motor etc. I think the oe dt s were only rated around 140 if I remember correctly. Nige
Geekay

Post by Geekay »

the motobatt - they are regular type batteries aren't they? - i mean, they are AGM types but they're not the little lithium things are they?
can you use a regular charge - optimal and the like - on the MotoBatts?

sorry - i'm slightly off topic too!

personally, fwiw - i'd go for the one with he highest CCA figure - especially if you consider the bike to be a "tough start" - i have a super tenere 1200 which is often slow to turn over (a common thing if owners are believed) and i'd go for a new Yuasa over the equip motobatt as the CCA figure is higher!

Return to “TECHNICAL”