Navagation device with byway roads also .

Thomas williams

Navagation device with byway roads also .

Post by Thomas williams »

Hiya all I'm currently in the market for a navigation device with byway roads on it . Ill be traveling to the Alps in August this year and don't want to do all road riding as it can get very boring after a couple of days . I would love to mix it up over the 10 days I ride for . Is there something out there that will keep me on the right route but take me there on some gravel roads ect . Plus it would be nice to have when I'm ridding to North Wales in summer as there's a load of byway roads up that way .
picos mestizo

Re: Navagation device with byway roads also .

Post by picos mestizo »

I'm not an expert, they'll be on the thread later.
What I do know is that you'll need electronic maps that go down to track level.
Typically Garmin Topo maps.
&
A GPS device that can handle tracks, garmin etrex or montana etc.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Toe

Post by Toe »

This is something I've started looking into as well. I'm pretty set on the Garmin Montana, specifically the 600 as I'm not fussed about having a camera on it like the 650.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

Get a Garmin GPSmap 60 csx or such and get free maps here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_ ... n/Download

Ta, Ard
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

The largest size screen you can get makes life easier when navigating on the trail, it's hard enough going off road without trying to read a small screen.

If you buy a GPS unit from Memory Map it comes with all the maps pre-loaded:

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/gps/memory-map/
Thomas williams

Post by Thomas williams »

The garmin Montana 600 looks good . Will this have all the byway roads ect on there as standard or will I have to pay extra for this . And looking on eBay at them it looks like there's ones for kayaking ect with no road maps so does that mean there are certain model for a road specific Montana 600 ?
KtmRy

Post by KtmRy »

Dont get the montana 650 i had mine replaced 4 times within the first 6 month, i only used the camera twice, i figured it was a waste of time as i soon found out that as long as your gps and any camera you want to use clocks are sync'd then you just match the taken pictures time to the time on your recorded track in order to geo tag photos, simples... the few people i know with the 600s have not reported any issues, you do get the maps included with memory maps which are clearer than the garmin maps but i cant comment on them because i have never used one and i dont think you have bluetooth with them to hear directions if you want to where as the 600s have both that and wired connections (rugged mount needed for wired) you can get gb discoverer plus most other garmin maps for free if you know where to look, i think you need city navigator for turn by turn directions then gb disco or topos for the trails. Garmins and basecamp do take some learning so you have to be at least half tech minded, ive had mine for a year now and i have only just got my head round it properly but there is still plenty more i do not know!

And by the way if you want it powered you need the rugged mount plus handlebar mount for it at about an extra £80!
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

im rubbish with sat navs ..i would reccoment to bite the bullit and go or a big screen for off road ..i borrowed a oregon but it was usless unless stationary ..i can follow the montanna without needing to use me glasses (thumbs)

you can get a full os 150 map from here
https://www.ioffer.com/i/garmin-uk-gb-d ... -574074184

i bought one and it works fine ..or it did before i trod on it on the garage floor :silly:

you can get city navigator for the same price or like me i got one from a freind ..so its loaded with road routes and o/s overlay

so your looking at 350/360 after the maps

ive recently bought a montanna from here

http://www.gpstraining.co.uk/GarminMont ... ndles.html

i paid extra but if your not good with sat navs like me ..you also get a key to a online training course ..which is good live linked lessons and also a phone number and a expert on the end of the line that will help and talk through any problems you have ..i have only rung once but they do get back to you and are more than helpful
allin all im quite happy with the product and especially the service and back up help ..worth a extra 70 quid id say

oh and you get 5 percent off if your in the trf so 430 for the full deal (thumbs)

good luck

http://www.gpstraining.co.uk/GarminMont ... ndles.html
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”