Problems with the Sertao

The Things We Ride
andymac

Re: Problems with the Sertao

Post by andymac »

battery,,,,,, :sick:

I had 3 batteries on my xchallenge for internal failures (thumbs)
work hard,,,,,,,,,,,play harder !!
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

It might be the hot start issue together with a weakened battery. Ask BMW if your bikes is affected.
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Dutchgit wrote:It might be the hot start issue together with a weakened battery. Ask BMW if your bikes is affected.
I did that before the initial purchase and they said it had the new cam in it. Also didn't have a problem for 2 years so I was wondering if the valves had closed a little. Got full service history on it though.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
scouse

Post by scouse »

dubber68 wrote: Now that could come in handy for all sorts of things. Cheers
Out of curiosity what did they diagnose?
Nowt - nothing wrong with it all .... nowt to do with ue etc. Towza scratched his head - got his mitts on a new ECU got it re-flashed for the 2004 as it was for a new gen 650 and stuck in a new battery as we had killed the old one with endless discharges when it stopped firing. Which is why I would go to him first before adealer if you get stumped.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Thanks Scouse.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

.fraser.

Post by .fraser. »

I had very similar problems last year with my car, starting when it wanted, starting with jump leads then without, 12.5v at rest then 14.3 while running and it turned out it was a dead cell in the battery. My dad who's a mechanic done a 'drop test'(?) to confirm this, I'm surprised the RAC didn't do one.
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

Bernard Smith wrote:
bull wrote:
Bernard Smith wrote:But if you link to a 30/40 AMP car battery and it happily cranks over then, surely, you have taken the battery out of the equation if it still won't start? :unsure:

well, it might not start straight away if the engine got flooded with the previous attempts trying to start it

the engine might roll over on the jump start, but not start because its flooded

then when left for a while it might start again

its just a thought
Fair comment but, usually, when you flood an engine you really can smell it. Popping a plug out would confirm it anyway - and cured by a box of matches .......for the plug that is, not the engine (thumbs) Dries and heats......
Bernard,depends on how fed up your are with, so the matches and the engine might me the best bet, southport beach was always a popular spot for this kind of activity.

take two matches in case one blows out

steve
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Well new battery fitted and bike started first push of the button. Ran it until the cooling fan came on then stopped her. She re-started no problem so hopefully it was just the battery. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, much appreciated.

Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

dubber68 wrote:Well new battery fitted and bike started first push of the button. Ran it until the cooling fan came on then stopped her. She re-started no problem so hopefully it was just the battery. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, much appreciated.
Excellent - fingers crossed.

Although I must admit I don't get why, if it was the battery - with a jump start - it didn't fire up........

The Electro wizardry of new bikes perhaps?

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
JimboF650

Post by JimboF650 »

That's good to hear - you been out in the snow today?

Return to “BIKES”