Would you ever consider owning just a bike?

The Things We Ride
Bryn

Would you ever consider owning just a bike?

Post by Bryn »

For the past few months i have been dreaming of getting my first bike, a Honda XL 125, but dreaming is all i can do at the moment as i have no money to get one! I got so desperate that i considered selling my car in order to finance the bike...but then i remembered i live in England and riding in rain/snow/wind/cold can't be too fun so i opted against doing it. Is there ever a time that you would consider owning just a bike and no car?
Zookman

Re:Would you ever consider owning just a bike?

Post by Zookman »

No.....
I did that for many years when i could only afford a bike as an only means of transport.
Its a miserable experience having to ride to work in ice, wind and rain. Even more so when you get past a certain age.
Alun

Post by Alun »

I did just that from the age of 16 to 19. I worked in a bank for a year back then and would ride to work in a suit during the summer. Not great in the winter but you get used to it.
karnevil

Post by karnevil »

I have only had a bike on many occasions.And am even considering it at this moment.Last year I averaged 8 miles per week in my car.When it snowed here i left the car at home and used the bike.When i lived in Scarborough I had the Yamaha FZR600R I would do my weekly shop at Sainsbury's and would leave some of it at the customer service point and do a couple of journeys.I now live near Chester Ik I need to go to town I always take the bike at least I can park.I do not understand these people who say they wear a suit etc just leave at work and change.I do not wear a suit but i still change at work.
Alun

Post by Alun »

karnevil wrote:
I do not understand these people who say they wear a suit etc just leave at work and change.I do not wear a suit but i still change at work.
I do not understand companies that have a no changing on site policy but that was the rule back then ;)
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Oh dear, some of these replies are getting my fingers itchy to type out a selling description of my car :D
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

As others i have had periods when a bike was my only transport.
I can remember riding home the 12 miles from work in 6" of snow on a cafe racer BSA rocket, with a dragging clutch, fun. :laugh:

A lot of the girls i used to meet in my single days were'nt too keen on pillion in their miniskirts. :woohoo:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
MidnightSerenity

Post by MidnightSerenity »

I think for practical reasons (for the time being), I can't do without my car. It's difficult to imagine being car-less with 2 children aged 10 years and 11 months at home with me!! :)
MidnightSerenity

Post by MidnightSerenity »

Treadtrader wrote:

A lot of the girls i used to meet in my single days were'nt too keen on pillion in their miniskirts. :woohoo:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Alun

Post by Alun »

Treadtrader wrote:

No such problems down in the valleys mate. Mind you, I did have a CZ 175 Trail, a right babe magnet.

Return to “BIKES”