BMW Off Road Skills

Had a GREAT service or buying experience with a vendor then post it up here.
HP2Mav

Re: BMW Off Road Skills

Post by HP2Mav »

Great pictures and glad to hear you enjoyed it :)

I'm booked on the L3 course on May 14th :woohoo: Anyone else going to be there?
Paul Neate

Post by Paul Neate »

I too can wholeheartedly recommend the Off-road Skills course. I did the level 1 last year and had an absolute blast. The trainers are absolutely brilliant, and the course is set up to build your skills as it goes along. The first session on slow control and handling was a great refresher, and even benefits your road riding.

As to which bike, ORS recommends the 800GS for levels 2 and 3, not level 1. I have an 800, so I used their 800 on the course, and it is a handful. First gear is higher than on the 1200, which means less engine braking on the downhills, and the revvy nature of the engine and the hypersensitive throttle makes control trickier on the rough sections. Everyone who tried the 1200 after the 800 found it easier to handle.

I reckon that if I were going to do it again I would use the new G650GS -- that way I think I could focus more on the techniques and less on controlling the throttle.

Whichever you go for, it will be a great experience. I'm thinking of doing it again when I get the pennies together.
Paul Neate

Post by Paul Neate »

Oh, and one more thought: if you usually wear varifocal glasses change to single vision glasses for the off-road stuff. I set out with my usual varifocals and had a hell of a time seeing anything, what with all the jouncing around. A switch to single vision glasses made a world of difference.

Obvious, really, in hindsight.
Browndog

Post by Browndog »

HP2Mav wrote:Great pictures and glad to hear you enjoyed it :)

I'm booked on the L3 course on May 14th :woohoo: Anyone else going to be there?

Hi HP2Mav.
Hope you have had a fantastic day today on L3. :)

Would love to hear more about it.

No RUSH. I mean you may have even got home by now :silly: :silly:

Return to “HEROES”