Rear rack fabrication?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
V-Rider

Rear rack fabrication?

Post by V-Rider »

How viable would it be to have a rear rack created for the bike?

Would a fabricator be too expensive?

I would only be looking at having one made and welded using existing mounting points, and I'll paint it myself.

Any thoughts much appreciated!
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
CRAIGREVO

Re: Rear rack fabrication?

Post by CRAIGREVO »

I would have thought it would be cheaper to buy a Givi rack or something. unless you have the skills to do it yourself that is.
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

CRAIGREVO wrote:I would have thought it would be cheaper to buy a Givi rack or something. unless you have the skills to do it yourself that is.
I want a rack for a roll bag - dont fancy a top box! :pinch:

The only thing out there it seems is the Renntec rack, but removes grab handles and isnt compatible with givi pannier system.... :(
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Have a look through some of the posts on this link to get some idea of what's possible and how difficult / easy it is Make my own rack

I've done a number of them for various bikes. The one on my CCM - pic below- took me about 20hrs effort and about £50 in materials. It's probably overkill for everyday use but I wanted something that would withstand third world travel. I'm currently considering making one for my 70's Honda 400/4 but if I could find something suitable to buy I would in preference.

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
Possu

Post by Possu »

Hi, my first post on this site.

I made this rear rack for my firlfriends DRZ400S last year. I started with the stock rear rack and a pair of Givi loops originally destined for an airhead GS. Took about 35 hours of actual work plus many more hours thinking about how best to proceed. I designed it so that each side of the pannier frames could be removed independently of the other components. I also welded a lug on to each side of the bike above the swingarm pivot to which I connected the frames, the idea being that the frames themselves braced the aluminium subframe.

The bike was prepped for my girlfriends South America trip which took place during the latter half of last year. I also incorporated a 5 litre reserve fuel can and a Tooltube.

More pics here:
http://possu.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/DR ... 4989_V7REp
Jim Lovell

Post by Jim Lovell »

Possu, i saw Pumpy in Cornwall in February and had a good look at the DRZ rack nice job mate, if i ever do get a DRZ i may copy your design i like the idea of incoporating the spare fuel tank. :)

Versysrider, not sure where you live but if your near me i would be happy to help ive got pillar drill, mig welder etc. :)
Real men ride twins ;-)

Return to “TECHNICAL”