Carrying spare Fuel

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil

Re:Carrying spare Fuel

Post by 03001978 »

It does seems a little excessive doesnt it, a waste of money and a waste of fuel!

I would be weary of filling up coke bottles at a petrol station though! The fuel bottles for camping stives and what not a good alternative solution but capacity is a little low even with 4.

Certainly plenty options.

CW
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Alternatively, you can simply carry one plastic jerry can.

Those five litres should, on most bikes, equate to anything between another 45-70 miles range.

We carried one on board when in Argentina: never used it once and over there it was not unheard of for the next petrol station to be 200 miles away (although the most we had to travel between stops was about 180 miles). OK, we had a 22 litre tank and rode gingerly in that instance, but that was a country the size of India!!

You could simply bungee that to your pannier lid: job done.

Ultimately, it is up to you, but I know from personal experience that it is very tempting to try and plan for every eventuality and you end up weighing yourself down with a lot of extra things that you just don't need.

Just out of interest, do you actually have locations and distances for the petrol stations are where you are heading?
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

I have four modified brackets that were based upon touratech plastic bottle mounts, you just bend the top lip upwards until flat and then they are fine.see below piccy
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

i think you will find that in the UK it is illegal to transport exposed fuel containers on the back of a road vehicle , however it is never enforced and i have been gerry canned up for years without hassle or problems. make sure you can lock the caps to avoid contamination or vandals if your going into less secure places. There are also good bracket suppliers on ebay if you hunt for them.
P1030660.JPG
P1030660.JPG (50.9 KiB) Viewed 1701 times

Return to “TRAVEL”