New Exhaust and old carb

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
CRAIGREVO

Re: New Exhaust and old carb

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Just run them for the weekend, it wont do any harm as the change is very small.
After the weekend run your finger round the exhaust exit hole and if its black then don't worry, if its clean get it checked because its running lean.
You will hear loads of popping and banging when you back off the throttle if its running too rich. ;)
Mine runs a little rich but I like it. :evil:
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Now this might be a bit boring; but if you are out and about during a long hot parched summer what about a spark arrestor? one spark in the bush could start a fire, also the noise on through cans might get the Ramblers all up tight, and attract complaint?
BTW If you go free breathing pipe, have you considered a free breathing Air filter like a Piper or K+N?
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

Thanks again.
I fitted K&N filters last year when 'the man' set up the carbs for the old cans. He can slot me in after the weekend so we will have the bikes on his dyno next week. The new cans sound great but a big reason for changing them was the weight, the new ones must weigh half of the originals. Obviously they look better and when set up I hope for a bit more power. The bikes only give about 40bhp which is the same as a DRZ400 and I've more 200cc.
Will let you know how I get on with them.
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
scouse

Post by scouse »

Bring your stove and extra tea bags alongside yer spanners screwdrivers an old leccy plug and a spare set of plugs and we will fettle you up at the weekend... if it's raining that is ;) ... sunshine ...and sorry your on your own - we will be off exploring :D :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

Many thanks for the offer. I always have spare tea bags, might even stretch to biscuits. Will bring my stuff and it would be great if people have the time. Not sure what you mean by old leccy plug ? You do realise Lizzie is bringing her bike too. Cheers and thanks again.
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Mr Toad wrote:Many thanks for the offer. I always have spare tea bags, might even stretch to biscuits. Will bring my stuff and it would be great if people have the time. Not sure what you mean by old leccy plug ? You do realise Lizzie is bringing her bike too. Cheers and thanks again.
All the better if Lizzie brought hers, let them fiddle with that one first if it all goes Pete Tong yours won't be affected!! :woohoo:

Who said Chivalry was a thing of the past.......
Must have been me.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

mark1150 wrote:
All the better if Lizzie brought hers, let them fiddle with that one first if it all goes Pete Tong yours won't be affected!! :woohoo:

Who said Chivalry was a thing of the past.......
Must have been me.
Thanks for that! :P Good job I'm insured to ride either bikes so can still go out to play whilst Mr Toad is fixing mine :whistle:

Return to “TECHNICAL”