Middle East

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Kenbo

Middle East

Post by Kenbo »

Thinking about taking the bike to Dubai and back. (I have a daughter and grand kids there)
Any one got experiance of riding/driving in the middle east?
Saudi inperticular.

Just starting to investigate the pros and cons the now.

Flying out there in Nov so will see what road maps I can find when I am in Dubai
scurrell

Re:Middle East

Post by scurrell »

Kenbo wrote:
Flying out there in Nov so will see what road maps I can find when I am in Dubai
Just buy a large sheet of paper, and paint it yellow....
"It was only the beer talking, but what it said made perfect sense..."

Kenbo

Post by Kenbo »

Didnt take some one long to reply did it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

I've never ridden in Saudi & I got to say I don't think I'd want to . . . driving tank sized 4x4's & SUV's left me feeling vunerable - hate to think of what I'd be like on 2 wheels :woohoo: ! Got to say that this was mainly in and around one of the bigger urban conurbations. But even in the desert you need eye's in the back of your head.
Still, there are plenty of Brits out there that do ride, so it can't be that bad, can it?

Just my ramblings.

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Bushman_uk

Post by Bushman_uk »

I have ridden around Saudi, but i am afraid it was many many years ago, as i recall and things may have changed, you need a sponsor to enter the country and i had to take a driving test, which believe it or not involved no driving just a blood test and eyesight test .You will also have to prove that you believe in God (any faith)a babtism certificate will do, you can get them easy enough if you don't have one .
Don't worry about 4x4's and the like just drive like you own the place and put ya head on a swivel, just because lights are on green does not mean that you are all clear.
If you have an accident , no matter what it will be your fault, because your a foreigner and if you weren't there the accident would not have happened !.
The roads are long and straight and i mean long 400 miles with nothing is not unusual, in the summer the sun will kill you in a day if you are not prepared. To stay healthy you will need 1 Litre per hour.
You will need to plan very carefully where and when you go, don't travel at night ( wild camels are difficult to spot with desert tunnel vision)and do not attempt to go near a religious center like Mecca or Medina unless you are a fully paid up member to the muslim faith.
It's a difficult journey but it can be done with good planning and loads of patience . Bukra Inshallah ( tomorow if god wills )
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Hi Kendo, I road with Harley chapters in the middle east for over 10 years, all of the comments so far are very good and worth taking note of. The time of year will be a key decision 25-30 c in winter, 45c + in summer . There are still active HOG membership clubs all over the gulf, there aren't many other bike clubs, but you will find them helpful and very good at getting around local issues, i would give them a try as they also know their counterparts in the next state or country and can pass you on etc. Expats are normally a good bunch when motorbikes are involved, it is a regular trip to go from country to country in the gulf as a harley chapter member and therefore the leg work has been done and the contacts established. If your in Dubai, make sure you get over to the Musandam and into Oman, Not to be missed if your out there mate
Have a great trip
herman

Post by herman »

Kenbo wrote:
Thinking about taking the bike to Dubai and back. (I have a daughter and grand kids there)
Any one got experiance of riding/driving in the middle east?
Saudi inperticular.

Just starting to investigate the pros and cons the now.

I'm there in nov too, only riding I'm planning is a bit of off-roading, I like the idea of filling someone else's filters with sand. B)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Kenbo

Post by Kenbo »

Herman

learn from my experiance off roading in the desert last year

Before

During

After

Broken coller bone two days before we were due to fly home :S

Been told I am being taken diving when we go this time....
herman

Post by herman »

:ohmy: thanks,but if I listened to good advice then I'd never do anything. :unsure: I was going to stick to two wheels as four tend to be a bit heavier when landing on you.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Kenbo

Post by Kenbo »

herman wrote:
:ohmy: thanks,but if I listened to good advice then I'd never do anything. :unsure: I was going to stick to two wheels as four tend to be a bit heavier when landing on you.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Return to “TRAVEL”