Garmin GPS

The essential art of farkling.
Magnum

Re:Garmin GPS

Post by Magnum »

Had a TomTom and the mount was rubbish as the contact points kept jumping apart between the unit and mount , then i'd get a low battery and the unit would just shut down without much warning, changed to a Zumo 550, brilliant mount, locks on etc, but occasionally it will lock up and the battery needs to run down to re set before you can do anything, Aluns Zumo 600 seems to have cured this and will be my next unit if there aren't obvious other choices, I'll stay with gamin now i think

Post by 03001978 »

Thought I would re-instate this thread.

I am on the hunt for a sat nav - on a budget

No more than £160 something that has a neat mount, and fairly waterproof / splashproof with european mapping

I do not have a power socket and would rather wire it to the bike but does anyone have any expierence of doing this as the battery life on non m/c GPS are shocking. Is this an easy thing to do?

CW
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

Easiest is by far fitting a power socket...£5 I believe from Maplins...and yes its easy, get one with an in line fuse and connect direct, you can fit relays just incase you forget to unplug something

Dont bother with the waterproof bike satnavs you can pick up a new TomTom or Garmin within your budget, if it rains put a bag over it or buy a waterproof media bag like this
http://www.louis.de/_20f6a0c24054bbc37c ... 97&lang=en

I've got the Nüvi 765, cost me €200, I've got about 18hrs of music loaded and can pair my phone in via bluetooth.
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

I've used a satnav on the bike for a couple of years, very useful.
Paper map for route planning and then plug it into the satnav.
If i think it's all going wrong easy enough to stop and check map in my tankbag.
I use a Tomtom one with European mapping that cost little over £100.00.
Download "Tyre" then use Google maps to plan a route and download onto satnav.

My set up.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

This is a link to the waterproof mounting i use, at £15.99 cheap enough.

I wired in a lighter socket, easy enough and as said can be bought for a fiver.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Alun

Post by Alun »

03001978 wrote:
Thought I would re-instate this thread.

I am on the hunt for a sat nav - on a budget

No more than £160 something that has a neat mount, and fairly waterproof / splashproof with european mapping

I do not have a power socket and would rather wire it to the bike but does anyone have any expierence of doing this as the battery life on non m/c GPS are shocking. Is this an easy thing to do?

CW
Hows about this... a new Sat Nav for £39

Return to “ACCESSORIES”