Un helpful bikers

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
ZX Raziel

Re: Un helpful bikers

Post by ZX Raziel »

I always stop to check if the biker is injured or needs help , never needed help for my self yet , and i hope it stays this way ;)
EricKTM@

Post by EricKTM@ »

mikeyboy wrote:its one thing seeing a bike/rider at the side of the road and not stopping because you think you may not be able to offer any real assistance,(or convince yourself their having a break)
but to pass someone pushing a bike :pinch:
Last time I came across a lad out of fuel on a motor way I drove passes about 100 meters parked, walked back to him, pushed his bike to mine and then moved mine down another 100m and walked back to help him. Kept doing that until we got to a garage not far from the next slip road.

Where there's a will there's a way.

I suppose I always will stop its just biking I suppose when you have to sort yourself out.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

A little story.

About 18 months ago I was trying to make up my mind about a new bike so I was out test riding a Yamaha S10 in the New Forest.

Weather was good and traffic very light so I pulled over just off the road to have a fag and consider the bike. I hadn't been there very long when a chap in a car stopped and asked if I was alright? We had a quick chat and he then went on his way - what a nice man (probably a biker himself).

I then went and bought the GSA a few months later. But I liked the Yamaha very much - time will tell if I made the right decision.

Paul :)
Don1960

Post by Don1960 »

Elle wrote:the reason some don't stop is because they wouldn't be able to help - most of my friends never work on their own bikes :huh:
I'm no mechanic (probably as useful as a chocolate fireguard), however, I would stop to provide a bit of company, a phone and a lift if necessary :)
Once gave someone a pillion lift whilst in France, stacked my camping gear on the top box which made it a bit rear-heavy & he was a scary pillion! :woohoo:
When I started riding bikes in 1981 there was an ethos of stopping and offering help, regardless of your mechanical skills, it was just not done to drive on because all bikers regardless of make of model would help each other... sad to see these times have passed. Is it an age thing ? Is it the younger riders that do not know the "code"
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Don1960 wrote:............Is it the younger riders that do not know the "code"
That would be my guess....
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Old Git Ray wrote:
No not the case at all
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Rhys wrote:
Old Git Ray wrote:
No not the case at all
IMO it's nothing to do with age, it's about the attitude of people in general. Sometimes even riding a bike can't change them.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
EricKTM@

Post by EricKTM@ »

It might be down to bike useage and reliability/them never breaking down themselves or break down cover been on most policies and people just say ah he has a way out if he wants.

Could just be dicks.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
Willandkate

Post by Willandkate »

Wow, are we putting 'us bikers' up on a bit of a pedestal here?

Just cos you ride a bike doesn't mean you're a good bloke (or gal). Sure there is some camaraderie between bikers but to expect all bikers, young and old to be nice, helpful, honest, reliable etc is a bit far fetched?

I help out when I can but maybe time/mood/other commitments mean sometimes you just can't. Sometimes when I have stopped to help, the person has been such a grumpy arse himself I wondered why I'd bothered.
Our biggest ride - Australia to England

www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Willandkate wrote:Wow, are we putting 'us bikers' up on a bit of a pedestal here?

Just cos you ride a bike doesn't mean you're a good bloke (or gal). Sure there is some camaraderie between bikers but to expect all bikers, young and old to be nice, helpful, honest, reliable etc is a bit far fetched?

I help out when I can but maybe time/mood/other commitments mean sometimes you just can't. Sometimes when I have stopped to help, the person has been such a grumpy arse himself I wondered why I'd bothered.
I certainly don't expect people to stop, I like to think that maybe 1 in 10 will do and out of those that stop maybe nobody will be able to help but just pulling over and asking gives the rider at the side of the road a mental boost.

Return to “THE PUB”