Re: Unions...have they had their day

Post by Mike101 »

Old Git Ray wrote:
moto al wrote:..........

. Al.ps let's stick to motorbike stuff

You started the Scottish aspect ????
No I started it!...as usual.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
chillidave

Post by chillidave »

jameskaya wrote:Milton Freidman and his Chicago boys and the IMF,Managed to destroy unions throughout the world. Thatcher was an advocat of his ideals, that are completely failed, and she destroyed a number of unions. Our current pm is also an advocat of his ideals. Hence the high speed rail, the hospital, ambulance and Royal Mail being privatised.

If we lose the unions then the working people will have no stand and neocapatilism will become even more rife.
Well said that man. Too many believe what they read in the "Sun". :(
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

moto al wrote: let's stick to motorbike stuff

That is all.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Mike101 wrote:
Old Git Ray wrote:
moto al wrote:..........

. Al.ps let's stick to motorbike stuff

You started the Scottish aspect ????
No I started it!...as usual.

Mike
Page 2, First sentence.
xtzrick

Post by xtzrick »

Harty wrote:As an ex-Royal Mail employee, I can honestly say that the downfall of Royal Mail is down to the Union. The Managers can't do a thing without going through the Union first!

A quick example, if a job comes up within a Mail Centre for example, it doesn't go to the most suitable or qualified, but the employee who's worked there the longest!! Hence why none of the old staff are moving with the times, but are in the cushiest and easiest jobs for the rest of their lives! I got out after 4 years, just too many tossers that should have been sacked years ago.
Yep, I'm ex-Royal Mail & totally agree with you.

I was there 19years, 5 or 6 times we went on strike because someone was sacked for not doing there job :huh: even the father of one who also worked for R.M. said his son deserved to be sacked, but still we walked out & the lad was given his job back.

I asked my union rep questions back in '97 about an up coming strike vote & was told only union bosses could see the material I'd asked for, I told him the members ARE the union & there were different levels of rep NOT bosses. He said "trust us".
Strike action was started, I wasn't convinced & crossed the picket line. Then after my shift had finished went to the union meeting to ask the area rep the same questions, got to see the papers I'd asked for.
It was what management had been saying all along :angry:

I still believe there's a place for unions.
The problem is we only see (& hear) the egos of the reps with a political agenda, getting high on bravardo. Most of my managers at R.M. had been staunch union reps in their previous roles :silly:

But,
There are still "GOOD" lads & lasses who become reps for the benefit of the workers (thumbs)

If the job doesn't get done, everyone is out of work.

Rick
samfan

Post by samfan »

Unions are one of the most destructive things that any economy can have ln that they appear to have no concept of how a business needs to perform in order to survive. The union bosses are milking it for what they can get with the massive salaries and perks that they enjoy ,and for doing what ? By telling gullible members that they are working for their benefit and well being ,what a farce that is.they work on the herd instinct mentality that makes the workers believe they are all in it together, The reality is that union bosses are in for themselves when the workers have lost their jobs. The union bosses will still have their massive salaries and pensions and cant loose either way.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

samfan wrote:Unions are one of the most destructive things that any economy can have ln that they appear to have no concept of how a business needs to perform in order to survive. The union bosses are milking it for what they can get with the massive salaries and perks that they enjoy ,and for doing what ? By telling gullible members that they are working for their benefit and well being ,what a farce that is.they work on the herd instinct mentality that makes the workers believe they are all in it together, The reality is that union bosses are in for themselves when the workers have lost their jobs. The union bosses will still have their massive salaries and pensions and cant loose either way.
So you're not a fan then?
jameskaya

Post by jameskaya »

samfan wrote:Unions are one of the most destructive things that any economy can have ln that they appear to have no concept of how a business needs to perform in order to survive. The union bosses are milking it for what they can get with the massive salaries and perks that they enjoy ,and for doing what ? By telling gullible members that they are working for their benefit and well being ,what a farce that is.they work on the herd instinct mentality that makes the workers believe they are all in it together, The reality is that union bosses are in for themselves when the workers have lost their jobs. The union bosses will still have their massive salaries and pensions and cant loose either way.
If you look at recent globalisation attempts, one key factor has been to remove unions. Of course the people at the top are going to profit from them but this is small in comparison to the likes oligarchs in Russia, which are the same throughout moderd history. Look at South America and more recently Poland, Russia, Trinadad and Tobago, Korea, Indonisia, china and of course us. The key issue is a free market!!

If you are a business man/women who employs a large workforce then you are more than likely going to support a Friedman style of politics that results in no unions rather than a Keynesian style.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

jameskaya wrote:more than likely going to support a Friedman style of politics that results in no unions rather than a Keynesian style
Right I'm off, this debate just got too intelligent for me ;)
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “THE PUB”