Takoda 8th - 10th November.

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
picos mestizo

Re: Takoda 8th - 10th November.

Post by picos mestizo »

Is anybody going to lead a road rideout to the West of Kirkby Stephen, taking in the Lakes, Hardknott & Wrynose passes + other POI's.
I'd hate to do the 250miles getting there & not doing these.
I've done them quite a few times & their difficulty is a myth.
They're twisty, tight & bumpy, but really nice to ride with magnificent scenery.
Must be a good lunch stop over that way someone can recommend!
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
wimj

Post by wimj »

That's the ride we're planning to do on friday (we'll be arriving thursday). If you're there you're welcome to join!
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

Is anybody going to lead a road rideout to the West of Kirkby Stephen, taking in the Lakes, Hardknott & Wrynose
Mul001 wrote:Quick update on the Saturday ride out.

As Gripper said Deepest Lake - Highest Mountain.

The plan is to go to Wastwater and the Wasdale Head Inn to view Scafell Pike(a view of Scafell Pike in the middle of November, we'll be lucky :laugh: ). Depending upon the route it's 70 odd miles each way which is well doable, but remembering it's not a motorway so it won't be an hour there and back. :silly:

Once we're west of Windermere we can take the A & B roads to Torver and depending upon who's up for it and the weather (if you ain't done 1 in 4 hairpins in the rain and zero vis fog - I ain't gonna teach ya) there's either Birker Fell (the locals call it Ulpha Fell, but it's nowhere near ...), or Hardknott, or if it's v poor even the A595 is small enough for all to be happy if you're not familiar with the route and once off the A595 it's all wee twisties with passing places.

Of course we can modify plans on the day. I've never lead a pukka ride out before, wrt photo stops, toilets etc but I have been in groups around Europe more than a few times and know to look in the mirror and junctions when the line gets dispersed. Once on some of the roads there's so few turn offs I hope to nav from the back :silly: at times and some folks may have Satnavs and won't get lost themselves. In fact I don't consider myself leading anything - it should just a bunch of like minded bikes all going the same way.

King George IV Pub, Boot, Gosforth, Woolpack Pub, Dalegarth, Wasdale Head Pub etc. have toilets and are good for food and a cuppa.

Ride your own pace and keep yourself safe within your limits sounds (possibly) a bit patronising but it's not meant to be. This may be easypeasy for some and more adventurous for others depending upon your experience. If you're the next Dunlop or Boorman you can get the drinks in and we'll catch you up. If there's no names on my post-it in the barn I'll go myself, no offence will be taken.

I hope that sounds like a sensible plan :)

Fingers x'd for the weather.

Cheers

Mul.
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

I did ave another ride out in the back of my mind called the 5 passes challenge...

Ulpha, corney, hardknott, cold, whinlatter, honister ... the more observant will notice thats six :laugh: and its a case of linking them all up, corney may have to go. The only prob with this is back nd forth up and down there and back its 200++ miles.

Picos, I agree if you can ride a bike you can do the passes, if you cant do the passes you shouldnt .... but then its a question of confidence nd experience i guess. And im not judging anybodys ability or critisizing. Chrz Mul.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

wimj wrote:That's the ride we're planning to do on friday (we'll be arriving thursday). If you're there you're welcome to join!
Sounds good to me Wimj, yes I'd love to join you on the Friday.
No problem for me to travel up on the Thursday.

Let's communicate on Tuesday 5th November for a weather check & a definate go/no go.
Regards Brian.
Lightness is everything.

picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Thanks for that PeterT.
Definately up for Mul001s ride out on the Saturday, & looks like there's a ride out on the Friday to the passes.
Better order up some weather now. :whistle:
Lightness is everything.

midlife

Post by midlife »

Hi Guys,

Would like to come along as well. Travelling all of 60 miles to be there from Hexham. Probably arrive Friday a.m. Definateley be there for a curry on saturday night please.
Paul - Have you warned the landlord of the Pub to expect us! Dont want him running out of beer again!!
Cheers Rob
Gripper1974

Post by Gripper1974 »

midlife wrote:Hi Guys,

Would like to come along as well. Travelling all of 60 miles to be there from Hexham. Probably arrive Friday a.m. Definateley be there for a curry on saturday night please.
Paul - Have you warned the landlord of the Pub to expect us! Dont want him running out of beer again!!
Cheers Rob
31 on the list midlife :)
RH_SCOTLAND

Post by RH_SCOTLAND »

I fancy the Friday run too, what time are you leaving the camp site?

I am an hour and a half from Takoda, so could be there without having to leave the hoose too early.
Some people are alive simply because its illegal to kill them....
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

RH_SCOTLAND wrote:I fancy the Friday run too, what time are you leaving the camp site?

I am an hour and a half from Takoda, so could be there without having to leave the hoose too early.
Would need to confirm with Wimj but I guess if a few were going & weather permitting 10.00am would be the latest.
Going to firm it up with Wijm on the 5th. regs. Brian.
Lightness is everything.

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”