DL650 gearing

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
sandi

DL650 gearing

Post by sandi »

What would be best to bring the revs down when cruising at 70 on the motorway?
changing the front sprocket for a slightly larger one or the rear for a smaller one or both?
Treadtrader

Re: DL650 gearing

Post by Treadtrader »

Usually the easiest way is to up one on the gearbox, saves messing with the chain.
Problem there though is if the speedo drives off the gearbox sprocket as it does on my DL1000. In which case you'll need a gadjet to correct speed reading.
To be sure, search or ask the question on here.

www.vstrom.co.uk
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
sandi

Post by sandi »

Ok thanks for that,did'nt know there was a v strom site I shall try it
tomekc

Post by tomekc »

Dl650 unlikeley dl1000 has speedo drives from front wheel, so no problem with change the fornt sprocket. But i will leve front one alone and fit rear one -3t
Mine Ex:

xs400, xt600, m72, tiger 855i, deauville, klv1000
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

hi
my wee strom has had both sprockets on
i used to commute a lot m58 m6 on it
i changed to a 16 tooth front and it pulled it pretty well it knocked it down to a bout 5400 revs at 80 mph ..instead of 6k
fual consumption was pretty much the same though .. i was happy enoug in the lower gears with it
however when i changed firms i had a snarly comute and went back to the 15 tooth for more townwork

the strom doesnt use a magnet on the front drive shaft ..changing the sprocket will not affect the speedon on the wee strom as its done from te front wheel .. for long distance work i think its a good move ..but cant say how it would be with a pillion ...
great bike the little strom ...mine been as hard as nails and never missed a beat
hope that helps

By minkyhead at 2009-01-23
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
sandi

Post by sandi »

Thanks for the replys what I think I might do is leave as it is for the first big tour and then see how it performs
Womble

Post by Womble »

For all things VStrom try www.vstrom.info, lots of tech pages as well as forum. Also www.v-strom.co.uk which is more social, but some techy bits and then there's www.stromtrooper.com which I know nothing about.
Enfield Himalayan... apparently they're Marmite... not keen on Marmite, but like Vegemite
YBR125... the little adventure steed of awesomeness
ADV.John

Post by ADV.John »

I've just changed mine to a 16th front sprocket. 6k @ 85mph on the sat nav. 95 mph on the clocks. Absolutely brill for me & For touring.
desertraider

Post by desertraider »

last year i had a long run to the south of france and wanted to drop the revs abit on my dl650x i went 2 down on the back , and found this was good in between kept mid range and got a little bit more topend without to much loss in bottom end go , loved that little dl oh why did i sell it .

Return to “TECHNICAL”