I still can't decide !!! Tenere 660 or F800gs ?

The Things We Ride
Mike Wright

Re: I still can't decide !!! Tenere 660 or F800gs ?

Post by Mike Wright »

I sold my Tenere as it was pretty bad for buffeting on long trips and wore me out with the head being moved around as the forks went up and down. The air rushes up in front of the tank both sides and was awefull after an hour riding at 70-80 mph despite trying different screen and spoilers. The spokes rusted after 4 months and needed rebuilding. It drank fuel when loaded as much as my GS did if you riding at higher speeds.
Some of the finish it not too good and will wear quickly and it went through cush drives for breakfast!

Postives: Looks superb, light and easy to ride, easy to fix, perfect for B roads and fire trails, loads of after market bits out there, never let me down.

Between the GS and Tenere I would go for a GS and upgrade the chain and sprockets but make sure I had a decent warranty.

Just my opinions of course!
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

We just done a 1000 miles sitting at 80/85 fully loaded and was getting 65mpg
V_King

Post by V_King »

bond_yzf wrote:We just done a 1000 miles sitting at 80/85 fully loaded and was getting 65mpg
I don't believe it! at least not with the UK fuel quality!

the best I've eve got here in UK was 57mpg going up north with a wind actually blowing the same direction!

p.s. there can not be any approximations when doing mpg calculations - just a few miles there or here makes the big difference in calculations! + do not forget, yamaha tacho lies almost +10 percent (mine is on average +8%).
""
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

Believe it and bowman can back it up and I know about the tacho we were using a gps

If I remember correctly bowmans best mpg was 71

And im running dna filter kev fuel mod and mtc can
desertraider

Post by desertraider »

I've had both and loved them in their own ways , the xt is better on the pocket when it come to servicing, I didn't like the way the bmw tells you its time for a service with the thing on the dash you cant turn off , the bmw is way faster but the snatchy throttle (can be sorted with a tuning mod for £65) both seats are shite and need to up grade if your doing aload of miles , if it comes down to it , more road buy a bmw , more off road buy the xt660 tenere
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

bond_yzf wrote:Believe it and bowman can back it up and I know about the tacho we were using a gps

I average about 60 to 65 MPG. Best I got was 70 and that was two up going up north but taking it nice and easy.
I have gone into the 50's since i took the cat out in the first few months. I bought a tenere as I got one new cheaper than secondhand ktm and BMW.
Nice old school bike with screw and locknut valve serving ie can be done at home. 42k now and only wheel/headrace bearings replaced. Yes it has some issues but still in a class of its own....
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Brads

Post by Brads »

bond_yzf wrote:Believe it and bowman can back it up and I know about the tacho we were using a gps

Well done for that then, I got nowhere near this with my Tenere. I get way more mpg from my GSA actually.
Round the world ???

Round the bend more like !
gibbo1974

Post by gibbo1974 »

Lots of decisions to make and it all depends on budget and what type of riding you do...

If you do more dirt than road you got to opt for the Tenere

If you do more dirt than road and money is no object, it's still the Tenere

If you do more road then BMW

If you do more road but money is a factor then Tenere.

I make that 3-1 to the Tenere.

It has a few issues but all are easily overcome. I believe if you cure the buffeting which is a simple mod and can be done a few different ways and stick on a few cheap mods to the 02 sensor, the fuel mapping and a pipe if you like it to sound like a bike the Tenere would come in front of the Beamer in every respect pound for pound.

Account for about £300 in "must do mods" to the Tenere and it will still be miles cheaper than a Beamer and every bit as good and will kill it off-road.

Good luck with your choice, let us know what path you take....
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

My problems with my Tenere are we'll know on here.

I had real issues with the seat...but I fixed that.

I get 65mpg but if you sit at 85mph on the motorway this drops to 55mpg.

More than enough power for me but if you want straight line speed the a Tenere is not right.

I had problems with the standard screen and the wind. I replaced it with a taller screen and now it's fine. I am 6ft with short legs and a long body....I now only have a whisper of air in my face at any speed and no buffeting at all.

I don't know the GS but from what I do know I don't think to two bikes really compare...they are so different.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

well heres a couple of tests of the bikes your interested in

its down to personal preference really if your doing road work only

id say dont bother and stick with the wee strom ..

the other thing you may consider is price a low milage fully loaded tenere being around 4k ....

http://adventure-motorcyclingh.com/2012 ... le-report/

http://adventure-motorcyclingh.com/2012 ... term-test/
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “BIKES”