McHaggis 'o Scotland - from a Danes perspective

Where you've been and what you done
El Dudeness

McHaggis 'o Scotland - from a Danes perspective

Post by El Dudeness »

Prologue

For many years I've been facinated and drawn to the Scottish culture, nature, dialect and history. I've therefore always wanted to give the country a go on the ol' two wheeled.
After my latest adventure to The Northern Cape last year I set myself that the year of 2013 should be the year I took my dram and made it into reality. And so the story evovles...

My girlfriend thought that the trip sounded very interesting and decided to tag along which was fine by me but when I asked her what she intended to ride she simply replied whithout a mimmick to the face: "My Fireblade....of COURSE!" ....... Well.... needless to say I wasn't keen on the idea of her riding i 1000cc sportsbike for 8 days on small, badly paved roads - maybe some gravel here and there and maybe up to 12 hours in the saddle and most likely some rain.

Well she couldn't really see what the fuss was about so we spent some months discussing the topic and she was finally conviced that she needed another donkey after she borrowed my 1200GS on a weekend in Sweden.
Now the challenge was now that she really felt bad about loaning someone elses bike and I truely wanted to do the trip with her so I offered her to ride my bike and I could figure something else out.

And so it was....

Luckily one of my very good friends (whom I incidently went to Romania with last year) was so generous as to trust me with his F800GS and the planning could begin.

Here I am picking up what should be my trusted charriot the following 8 days:

I'd never had the pleasure of riding a F800GS and I was really looking forward to strapping myself in and giving it a whizz round some great greavelly terrain without any luggage before I were to ship sail but unfortunately the time didn't allow it.

The first thing that drew my attention was that the seat was alot lower than on my own bike. Now I'm not a skyscraper but with my 186 cm I still felt that it needed some more. My buddy has thrown on an Air Hawk gel pad, but that still didn't do the trick. Then I came to think of that I had some left overs of sheep skin and the piece I had left fitted quite nicely after a bit of trimming.

A couple of weeks prior to my departure I switched my old Rukka tourings outfit out with a sweet set from Lindstands. I was really content with the Rukka but it was getting too big for me and when the temperature creeped past 24-25* it was like a sauna so I decided to change.
I always ride with my national flag on the back and on the left arm and this should be no exception.

The following days were spent on packing and getting everything totally ready to depart when the all the moons and stars were into place.

We got home yesterday evening on Monday the 29th og July and I can already reveal that this thread isn't going to be lacking of anything - except crashes - fortunately. BUT apart from that I can mention midnight drama, exceptional roads, ghosts, outstanding nature, castles, puke and intestine trouble, as well as a culture and a country that in my neck of the woods (Denmark) is highly underrated and it was a trip of a life time.

I will the following weeks try to get my pictures in order and get writing on the actual RR but please bear with me on the time, the spelling and the grammar as English isn't my native tounge.

I will leave you with a couple of picturesqe teasers so you can get an idea on what you're in for.....

Stay tuned peeps - you're in for one hell of a ride!
Life is not the number of breaths we take

It's the number of moments that take our breath away....
Heff

Re: McHaggis 'o Scotland - from a Danes perspective

Post by Heff »

Looking forward to it B)
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

I'm in, this looks good :)
one-legged adventurer
kawasakier6f

Post by kawasakier6f »

Hootsman, did ya see that big hairy haggis on the seat. LOL
The achievement is in....every stranger that is now a friend.
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

boboneleg wrote:I'm in, this looks good :)
Me too
Paul

Post by Paul »

and me
900Fantrider

Post by 900Fantrider »

Subscribed :woohoo:
Too many Cagiva Elefants, Gran Canyons and Ducatis!
Azzalin SP and various others.
JiMcI

Post by JiMcI »

Me tae.......

Ps. is it me or is that no the weirdest way u have ever seen a bike secured in tae the back o a van.....

Cheers Jim....
Big Stu

Post by Big Stu »

Game on, looking forward to the next chapter.

By the way you English is excellent,will be interesting to read a Danes perspective .
900Fantrider

Post by 900Fantrider »

JiMcI wrote:Me tae.......

Ps. is it me or is that no the weirdest way u have ever seen a bike secured in tae the back o a van.....

Cheers Jim....
Thats what I thought, until you start looking for tie downs :unsure: the only place was the panel missing on the side door :pinch:
Too many Cagiva Elefants, Gran Canyons and Ducatis!
Azzalin SP and various others.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”