What's the best designed field gate and latch for you off-roaders.

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Fried Egg Sandwich

Re: What's the best designed field gate and latch for you off-roaders.

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

Self closing gates are best, as if the "closer" has not quite latched the gate properly and not noticed, it latches itself. Really any well maintained gate (at least the width of my Land Rover Discovery) that will open and close without needing herculean strength to do so is OK in my book' B)
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

I prefer two gates with a holding area in the middle. Open one gate ride in, close the gate, open the other ride out. This means you never have an open gap that animals can escape through.

Also a full width gate for 4x4, tractor, etc, with a personnel gate next to it for pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders and motorbikes. A small gate is much easier to open and ride through than a big one.

I also prefer a gate without a spring or closing weight, otherwise you are left hunting around for a branch or something to prop it open with, whilst you ride through. If you have a two gate system, it's less likely that it will be left open for animals to wander. If one gates open you've got the other.

I prefer these latches

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Paul

Post by Paul »

At last a topic where I have some expertise. I run a countryside contracting business and we repair and upgrade Public rights of Way furniture for Cumbria County Council.

We commonly fit Centrewire products on Bridle and byways.

http://www.centrewire.com/easylatches.htm

Take a look they are very good.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Paul wrote:http://www.centrewire.com/easylatches.htm

How clever are farm animals?

My dog has learned how to open several types of door handle or gate latch.

That easy latch is just a case of walk up, push the handle to one side, push the gate.

Could a horse learn how to open it? Or even a cow (though I think they are pretty thick, but could possibly open it by accident).
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Brian Snail

Post by Brian Snail »

Very useful link. Thank you. I guess a self closer which opens both ways is optimum for trailbikers? Is there a standard width for a bike? Would they all fit through a 1200?
Paul

Post by Paul »

-Ralph- wrote:
Paul wrote:http://www.centrewire.com/easylatches.htm

How clever are farm animals?

My dog has learned how to open several types of door handle or gate latch.

That easy latch is just a case of walk up, push the handle to one side, push the gate.

Could a horse learn how to open it? Or even a cow (though I think they are pretty thick).
If you take a look, they also do a stock proof version. :)
Brian Snail

Post by Brian Snail »

We find the horses are generally ok, it's the riders that aren't that smart! Farm animals are quite good at learning how to get out - but that's my problem to worry about, I'm more concerned that we install gates that are sufficiently user friendly that they inconvenience no one and don't get left open.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Brian Snail wrote:We find the horses are generally ok, it's the riders that aren't that smart! Farm animals are quite good at learning how to get out - but that's my problem to worry about, I'm more concerned that we install gates that are sufficiently user friendly that they inconvenience no one and don't get left open.
You need self closers then, with a latch that's lubricated and lined up well enough to click closed by itself.

As you'll see from the opinions on the thread, what's an inconvenience to one, isn't to another. As I sometimes ride alone, I struggle with self closers as I don't have anyone to hold it while I ride through. Other people on this thread have asked for self closers so they can just let it go after their mate has ridden though, jump back on the bike, and go.

Just concentrate on gates that meet your objective of keeping them closed. You'll get stupid and careless people whatever you do.
Brian Snail

Post by Brian Snail »

Right Guys. I've got enough info here now. Thank you all. Enjoy the new gates when they're fitted at Stonton.
Farmer Palmer

Post by Farmer Palmer »

I've got around seventy gates.......I've just counted them all up as we've got over fifty fields on the farm and the priority is keeping livestock in and most of them are at least twelve foot wide and fastened with a bolt into a wooden post aswell as having a chain and kep. Wooden gates aren't much use to us and on the arable fields we tend to have double galvanised steel gates with a swingover latch although they're a pain in the arse if you get your fingers trapped.

We need the gate to open easily and quickly aswell as being secure so the cattle can't get out!

Oh and close the gate behind you!

FP.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”