Determining legality of particular lane please?

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
-Ralph-

Re: Determining legality of particular lane please?

Post by -Ralph- »

Brian Snail wrote:Contemparaniously, other members joined in in support of the admin and at some stages got quite agressive towards me.
Which post was that then? I posted a couple the first went like this
-Ralph- wrote:If a farmer had just knocked me off my bike on purpose with a Discovery, then threatened further violence, mobile phone would be the last thing on my mind, I don't think I'd have the self control to do anything other than hopitalise him.
I stand by that post, it's true. I do think in that situation I'd personally would struggle not to react, as you say we are all male humans and testosterone, but probably more pertinent in that situation adrenalin, takes over.

First three words are key.

"If" - So this says that was how I would react IF I were put in that situation. If you didn't put SAMTRF in that situation then the post doesn't apply to you at all does it? IF you did put SAMTRF in that situation, then frankly you'd deserve whatever you got. I'd be interested to hear your side of the story on that one, did you knock him of with a Discovery, or threaten any violence?

"a farmer" - Meaning any farmer, not just you.

The whole post is hypothetical, so I trust this isn't what you mean when you say the thread got aggressive towards YOU. If it is what you meant then you need to read the black and white text again, remove any emotion you may be adding to it (computers don't have eyebrows), and alter your perspective.

The second post which I edited as I felt it was too inflammatory for the situation last night, but I can repeat it now, simply made the observation that farmers <plural, not just you> need to be pretty careful about using violence against trail riders, because in a fight with someone who's wearing a full face helmet, full body armour suit, enduro boots which often have steel caps and heels, and gloves which often have carbon fibre knuckles, even if you fancy yourself as a bit of a Mike Tyson, it's not a fight your likely to win. This gear is designed to help us survive a 60mph impact with a crash barrier or other vehicle, punches wouldn't even register, other than as pain in the hand of the person delivering them. A swift head butt from a full face helmet however, would do a lot of damage. I'd advise anyone not to pick a fight when the odds are stacked against them. Especially if you've just knocked them off their bike on purpose, they ain't gonna be happy!
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

-Ralph- wrote:
Brian Snail wrote:Contemparaniously, other members joined in in support of the admin and at some stages got quite agressive towards me.
Which post was that then? I posted a couple the first went like this
-Ralph- wrote:If a farmer had just knocked me off my bike on purpose with a Discovery, then threatened further violence, mobile phone would be the last thing on my mind, I don't think I'd have the self control to do anything other than hopitalise him.
I stand by that post, it's true. I do think in that situation I'd personally would struggle not to react, as you say we are all male humans and testosterone, but probably more pertinent in that situation adrenalin, takes over.

First three words are key.

"If" - So this says that was how I would react IF I were put in that situation. If you didn't put SAMTRF in that situation then the post doesn't apply to you at all does it? IF you did put SAMTRF in that situation, then frankly you'd deserve whatever you got. I'd be interested to hear your side of the story on that one, did you knock him of with a Discovery, or threaten any violence?

"a farmer" - Meaning any farmer, not just you.

The whole post is hypothetical, so I trust this isn't what you mean when you the thread got aggressive towards YOU. If it is what you meant then you need to read the black and text again, remove any emotion you may be adding to it (computers don't have eyebrows), and alter your perspective.

The second post which I edited as I felt it was too inflammatory for the situation last night, but I can repeat it now, simply made the observation that farmers <plural, not just you> need to be pretty careful about using violence against trail riders, because in a fight with someone who's wearing a full face helmet, full body armour suit, enduro boots which often have steel caps and heels, and gloves which often have carbon fibre knuckles, even if you fancy yourself as a bit of a Mike Tyson, it's not a fight your likely to win. This gear is designed to help us survive a 60mph impact with a crash barrier or other vehicle, punches wouldn't even register, other than as pain in the hand of the person delivering them. A swift head but from a full face helmet however, would do a lot of damage. I'd advise anyone not to pick a fight when the odds are stacked against them.

Ermmmm I smell a match being lighted here........

Did we not cuddle, neither side is gonna admit they are wrong at this stage, so maybe leave sleeping dogs and all that.

My god am i really sitting on this big

:P

si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

sexysi wrote:Ermmmm I smell a match being lighted here........
Nope, just want it clarified that my post last night was not a threat of violence towards this particular individual. It was a honest description of how I would react had I been put in a hypothetical situation.

Also the above post is written without prejudice to this particular farmer, and there is nothing in it which insults him in any way.

I would be interested to hear his side of SAMTRF's story.

I'd ask people to read my posts in black and white and take them at face value. They say what they say, they mean nothing more, nothing less. If it doesn't say it, it doesn't mean it. Just as "If a farmer" doesn't mean "You that farmer", unless the recipient chooses to interpret it that way himself. So I'd ask people not to add their own interpretations and get upset or angry about the meanings that they have in fact added themselves to my posts.

Computers don't have eyebrows, you can't add your own facial expressions, tone of voice, intentions, thoughts and meanings, to somebody elses post, then get upset about the way it cames across to you. On a forum you have to read the black and white, and nothing else.

Wood struck down the side of the box maybe, but it's only a lit match if somebody else decides to become the phosphorus.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Brian Snail

Post by Brian Snail »

As Sexysi wisely implied earlier - we've moved on.
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

Computers don't have eyebrows, you can't add your own facial expressions, tone of voice, intentions, thoughts and meanings, to somebody elses post, then get upset about the way it cames across to you.
Sorry mate totally disagree with you here, the whole reason for those little guys above us "Emoticons" is to give over some kind of emotion in your post. IE :) = happy
:angry: = angry.

If they are used properly and read and perceived correctly there shouldn't be a problem. You will get a sense of what kind of mood a sentence is written in.

If Mr Farmer had written " I hate all bikers" :evil: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Then I would work out that in fact he did.

Instead of "I hate all bikers" ;) :laugh: :P

si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Brian Snail wrote:As Sexysi wisely implied earlier - we've moved on.
That's fair enough, and I respect you for digesting my post in the manner in which it was intended.

As you don't want to prolong this by giving your side of the story, which I also understand, I'll just file this one as exactly that, a story.

I do have sympathy with farmers who get targeted by a reckless minority, who often have scant regard for the law. Unfortunately though we often all get tarred with the same brush, and just by being there on a motorcycle, it get's people's backs up as they think we shouldn't be.

Maybe one day I'll meet you on those lanes. I have a black 52 plate XT600 and I'll be riding sensibly and legally and like AndyB, I too use a GPS logger. I don't see the difference between myself and a horse rider or a cyclist. I'm doing exactly the same thing, indulging in my hobby and going out for a ride in the countryside at the weekend. The only difference is my ride runs on petrol, not leg power.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

sexysi wrote:Sorry mate totally disagree with you here, the whole reason for those little guys above us "Emoticons" is to give over some kind of emotion in your post
What if I don't want any emotion in my post? I just want it matter of fact, straight down the line, man to man, and without prejudice? Different people can read emoticons differently too.
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

Great!!!!! Pictures aren't working again. I had a really funny picture of the south park copper saying "Move along" but it isn't showing.. :(

Now i am sad. ;)

Well done guys for both being big, it is one of those things. Maybe we do need an additional section, for byways, problems with, peoples moans about access, farmers etc etc.
I don't mind moderating it ;)

si

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

-Ralph- wrote:Different people can read emoticons differently too.
sexysi wrote:If Mr Farmer had written " I hate all bikers" :evil: :angry: :angry: :angry:
As an example, you've just used :evil: as an emoticon to show that the poster really does hate bikers.

See the wicked smile on his face? See the devils horns? Doesn't it look like he knows he's saying something naughty, but he's doing it on purpose as a wind up? That he doesn't really hate bikers at all, he's just saying it to be contraversial?
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

-Ralph- wrote:
sexysi wrote:Sorry mate totally disagree with you here, the whole reason for those little guys above us "Emoticons" is to give over some kind of emotion in your post
What if I don't want any emotion in my post? I just want it matter of fact, straight down the line, man to man, and without prejudice? Different people can read emoticons differently too.
PM the bloke. Have man to man on a PM, to be honest if you stick it on here, you could have 130,000 members on your side. Mr Farmer has to fight against everyone.

bottom left, not on the site but could be added.

si

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”