What do you take camping

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Mike101

What do you take camping

Post by Mike101 »

Evening all,

I'm enjoying my new toy and going camping soon. I used to go camping on my bike years ago which was fine but now I'm older...fatter and with a bad back I want a bit more refinement.

So I have the bike....I have the big touratech tins....I have a good tent....got an air bed and a good sleeping bag.

The question is this...what do you take...what are the best things that fit well on a bike.
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Brenhden

Re: What do you take camping

Post by Brenhden »

Hi Mike,

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... e-kit.html

read this for the months of agonising trails and deliberation I had before a big trip. Apart from what is mentioned I took a tub with salt, pepper, a herb mix of powered garlic, oregano and parsely. A jam jar of fairy WUL. Some olive oil. A few packs of instant noodles and some pasta.

I took trainers and sandals but with hindsight just a pair of converse would have been better. I took fancy camping trousers with zip off legs but a pair of jeans and a pair of sorts would have been better.

Hope this all helps. Really I packed light for camping but I could weighed the bike down with more comfort stuff...

Bren
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

As much as i can fit on :blink:

Our bike ready to roll for 2 weeks 2up camping

I dont need a MP3 player on my bike.The voices in my head sing to me all the time
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Too much ;)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

Steve T wrote:Too much ;)
Only the basics B)
I dont need a MP3 player on my bike.The voices in my head sing to me all the time
siddhartha

Post by siddhartha »

Depends on where you plan on adventuring to - and what kind of gear you interested in - and whether doing your own cooking.

Check out useful publications by ABR Mawse - there are both printed and ebook versions:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/richard-mawson ... 37625.html

http://www.lulu.com/shop/richard-mawson ... 19972.html

You never see a motorcycle outside a psychiatrist's office - unfortunately this is not my own quote.

Tenere XT1200Z / Triumph Thunderbird
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

Ask a 1000 different ABR members and they'll give you a 1000 different answers. My suggestion is make a list of requirements i.e. shelter, sleeping, cooking/food, wet weather, dry weather etc.

Then look at trip duration, 3 day, 7 day or weeks away. If you will be away most weekends then spend on quality. If you are only away twice a year then save your money and buy cheap. If your rich, waste all you want, it's your money.

We all like different things personally I use a petrol stove. Others like gas canister type. A few will cook on wood burners etc.

Sleeping bags always go for down, again my preference. Tent, 2 to 3 man as the extra space is nice to have.

Try YouTube there are loads of vids of campers telling you why this kit is better than that kit.

Finally remember any fool can be uncomfortable. Enjoy camping.
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
hornet

Post by hornet »

I work on this rule of thumb

Even when you pack extra lite you could have left half of it at home.

Only by going and doing it do you really find whats important to you.
Some sit on a pannier other want a comfy chair, I like my little cooking table but others just use the ground.

Can anyone else hear lord Vader's suspension groaning :)

Hornet
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
Gripper1974

Post by Gripper1974 »

hornet wrote:I work on this rule of thumb

Even when you pack extra lite you could have left half of it at home.

Only by going and doing it do you really find whats important to you.
Some sit on a pannier other want a comfy chair, I like my little cooking table but others just use the ground.

Can anyone else hear lord Vader's suspension groaning :)

Hornet
Totally agree with this, just go out and do a couple of days and try stuff out. Find out what works for you. I take a bottle of Tabasco sauce with me, no matter how sh#te the food is that I or someone else prepares is :sick: at least I can eat it with a splash or two of this :pinch:
David Nimrod

Post by David Nimrod »

Gripper1974 wrote:I take a bottle of Tabasco sauce with me
For me it's a bottle of Encona West Indian hot pepper sauce B)

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”