F800GS Engine Casing Corrosion

The Things We Ride
johnnyboxer

Re: F800GS Engine Casing Corrosion

Post by johnnyboxer »

russ_fae_fyvie wrote:What annoys me is that I actually really like the bike, its just BMW's response, blame the owner.

Just ordered a wire brush and a tin of Black Smoothright.

So stuff em........... :evil:
If it's any consolation my Rotax built black engined XChallenge was starting to do the same, on the crankcase

Always kept immaculate and covered by a TT alloy bashplate, so zero chance of stonechips and no winter use

Never tackled BMW, I but I guess they would have said the same to you

Sold it now

My 1998 Honda XR, used in all weathers, had more owners and trail ridden etc - is in much better nick by comaprison and has done similar miles to the XChallenge

The Honda build quality is far better
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
russ_fae_fyvie

Post by russ_fae_fyvie »

Just as a final comment, these were taken tonight, shows the general condition of the bike and state of the 2 engine cases.

This is the opposite side of the problem.

Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

On the positive side, if that sump corrodes much more it will be oil proofing itself from the inside :pinch: .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Manno

Post by Manno »

You should have seen the casings on my neighbours VFR1200F after 1 winter commuting!
It was only a year old so Honda changed them straight away for the dealer. They took it in part ex and discovered the corrosion when they took the panels off to service it.

Personally, on an older bike I would get them shot blasted and powder coated. I couldn't be arsed chewing on with the dealer when the bike is out of warranty.
russ_fae_fyvie

Post by russ_fae_fyvie »

Visited the dealer today to show him it in all its glory, you could see he was shocked at how bad it was and his silence told a lot although he obviously didnt admit anything.

This was taken at the weekend as I was about to prepare it for my painting, the sump was even worse than I thought.

:mad:
I of the strom

Post by I of the strom »

There is such a contrast with the rest of the bike how can BMW and/or the dealer argue that there is something seriously wrong with those two cases - or, have you swopped them from some wreck you found lying at the side of the road ? :laugh: :laugh:
Seriously, I have a 96,000 mile 19 year old GS and there is not one bit of it that looks anything like that - not talking a whole casing, there is not one bit of it that looks like that so come on BMW play fair.
russ_fae_fyvie

Post by russ_fae_fyvie »

Ok I eventually got a reply from BMW Motorrad and guess what. they confirm its my fault for not looking after the bike!

So I have a 3 year old £9000 rat bike!!

Can anyone on here explain how only 2 casings have flaking paint and not the others ? Even if I didnt clean the bike (which I did) why only 2 were corroding if it wasnt a manufacturing problem with those 2 ?

I have never seen selective corrosion like that before and its not as if mine is the first!

If they think this is the enf of it they obviously dont know me!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I of the strom wrote:There is such a contrast with the rest of the bike how can BMW and/or the dealer argue that there is something seriously wrong with those two cases - or, have you swopped them from some wreck you found lying at the side of the road ? :laugh: :laugh:
Seriously, I have a 96,000 mile 19 year old GS and there is not one bit of it that looks anything like that - not talking a whole casing, there is not one bit of it that looks like that so come on BMW play fair.
The fact that it`s 19 years old says a lot :whistle: the build quality of modern BM`s is frankly appalling. Used to really rate Beemers but now having owned two well . . .
Talking to a 1150gs owner on Saturday and he knows people who carry spare bearings for the drive shaft on long trips :ohmy: he thought it only happened on the 1150, had a shock when I told him 1200`s were just as bad. So how many years have BMW had to perfect drive shafts is it 90? :whistle:
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Nigel wrote:
I of the strom wrote:There is such a contrast with the rest of the bike how can BMW and/or the dealer argue that there is something seriously wrong with those two cases - or, have you swopped them from some wreck you found lying at the side of the road ? :laugh: :laugh:
The fact that it`s 19 years old says a lot :whistle: the build quality of modern BM`s is frankly appalling. Used to really rate Beemers but now having owned two well . . .
Talking to a 1150gs owner on Saturday and he knows people who carry spare bearings for the drive shaft on long trips :ohmy: he thought it only happened on the 1150, had a shock when I told him 1200`s were just as bad. So how many years have BMW had to perfect drive shafts is it 90? :whistle:
Agreed

But the 1150 is the last good'un IMHO

The rear bearing is only £40 and is easy to fit, unlike the 1200 which is £300 or a new drive at £1000 +
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Yep the 1150 is last of the good un`s, didn`t know the bearings went on those but the guy I was talking to said the same as you easy to change.
Seems to me BMW have gone the same way as Mercedes a few years ago, rested on their laurels and tried to cut cost`s and then ruined years of quality, German engineering hmm :whistle:

Return to “BIKES”