Re: How do you earn a crust?

Post by Magnum »

Right ho here goes,

Car dealer
Camper rental company owner
Dealer principle Motor industry, Bmw, Audi, Vw, Merc
Commercial diver
Charter boat captain
Male stripper entertainer ( yep the whole lot! )( size doesn't matter!!! thank fully )
Waiter at the little chef
Bar man

God that makes me feel old!!
Barcelona Pat

Post by Barcelona Pat »

Apprentice toolmaker, toolmaker, army (RRW), bed delivery (still makes me smile!), barwork, business advisor(exports), contract management (government), lifelong learning policy advisor, teaching, and LL policy advisor again - all this with loads of study and training during and inbetween.
B)
Pat
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

*Touring Ted* wrote:Too many to list here but the main ones have been...

Gardener
Games tester for Playstation (yes, it really exists as a job lol)
Motorcycle mechanic
Motorcycle Sales exec

Now i'm back from Africa and unemployed ! Now what ???
Welcome back Ted, gonna do a Ride Report? :)
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
flyinwalrus

Post by flyinwalrus »

hi folks ....I'm a paramedic at Burscough, Lancs.. been based at a few places around the county though. Been doing thia for 15 yrs now. Prior to that a was in the Army(Irish Guards)for 7 yrs. A brief spell as a despatch rider in Liverpool inbetween, ending with a broken foot!:unsure:
I can live more in 5 minutes on this motorcycle,than some people can live all their lives!
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

*Touring Ted* wrote:Too many to list here but the main ones have been...

Gardener
Games tester for Playstation (yes, it really exists as a job lol)
Motorcycle mechanic
Motorcycle Sales exec

Now i'm back from Africa and unemployed ! Now what ???

Hi Ted. Thought you'd found a job from what you'd said over on the HU site? Don't suppose you'll be signing on though after the earbending you got over there about it being irresponsible to swan off on a "holiday" and then sponge off the state when you get back.:huh: :huh: I was surprised your reply was so polite! I couldn't quite square that circle - how else are you going to do a long trip and if you're not going to be able to get the time off what the hell are you doing on a site like HU. Takes all sorts I suppose.

Don't think you'll be out of work long - and anyway, the huge fee that Alun's paying you for the articles should keep you going for years :lol: :lol: :lol:

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
bunker

Post by bunker »

Well, the list is varied.....left school and worked as:
a cook in a motorway service station
a production fettler in a model making factory (cleaned up mould lines and things with a modified dentists drill!)
did sales for a well known motorcycle clothing company (clue, begins with J and ends in S)
was a shop manager for Millets and Blacks, which means i have almost as much outdoors stuff as Alun, and where i spent a very enjoyable time living in the lake district
sold cars for Honda (1 week)
worked for a well known german sounding motorcycle clothing company (a personal low point)
afterwards i went to college for a year and did an HNC in social sciences and at the grand old age of 29 went to university where i studied environmental management and planning.
whilst at uni i worked firstly in customer services in ikea (THAT was an eye opener) and then as a van driver for same. Customer services in Currys. Checked tickets on a golf course. Collected golf balls - this was without a doubt the worst job i have ever had the misforune to experience :sick: ; it was from 10pm to 3am during the winter where i had to push a massive metal cart that didn't steer properly up and down the driving range picking up by hand any that didn't come up into the trolleys basket so that was most of the balls then. It was freezing, back breaking and wet but with a small baby and uni and all sorts it had to be done. After that working in B&Q was fantastic :laugh:

Now i'm a local authority town planner. Which means if you want something then i'm your best friend (till i tell you to change it :laugh: ) but if you don't like what your neighbour is doing then i'm the spawn of satan :evil:
Triumph Tiger 885
garyr

Post by garyr »

Working on oil rigs, do all the drilling rig maintenance/repairs. Working in the north sea for now but have been all over working on semi subs. 2 weeks on then 2 weeks off with holidays on top. Wages are not to bad, but would never say no to more. The susidised petrol is a added bonus. ;)

Only joking abou the petrol.
who dares, bins
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

I apologise in advance for the long ramble, I've tried to keep it short :pinch:

Started work on a market stall selling pet supplies
Kicked out of school (private tutored cause no local bad boy schools and not caught enough times to warrant residential. Came out with a couple GCSE's)
Worked for me Dad (waste cooking oil collection) ..realised it wasn't for me and told him I didn't want to run the family business (one of the hardest days of my life).
Did some part-time youth work..enjoyed it but too young and wild to stick it out.
Building site labourer (started to learn about site carpentry).
Gate welder
College (academia still not for me)
Sandblaster (making jeans look worn)
Upvc window maker
Beer pump reconditioner
Building sites again
Agricultural store person
College again (got some more G.C.S.Es)
Back on building sites
Asphalting with Gypsies in Germany
Selling beer and novelties in France
Back home, Started own business selling catering supplies
Estate maintenance and construction at a Temple up in Scotland
Housing and Maintenance Manager for an Assylum seeker Service Provider in Manchester (got some management papers)
Manager Director of a building maintenance company (gained site carpentry papers through "experienced worker" route at local college)
Teacher of carpentry at local college (gained teaching quals)
General Manager of a construction company
HMP Prisons teacher of basic construction skills
My present job - Construction teacher at a school for young lads with emotional and behavioural difficulties (FECK YEAH! Found my calling so to speak!). :)

Well there you go. Took a while to get there, but have a job that fits (the holidays are a fantastic bonus too! ;) )
"Man needs difficulties, they are necessary for health." - Carl Jung
Lee

Post by Lee »

Quite a diverse bunch aren't we B)

Life would be so dull if everyone did the same kind of job – one of the best things about forums like this, and the ride-outs that result, is you get to meet really interesting folk that come from a completely different walk of life.

I, for my sins, am another apple mac pilot – spending all day desperately trying to come up with something original again.
In June this year I undertook the whole Nature Rally in one trip, in aid of Riders for Health

You can read about it at http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... s-now.html

please support me at http://www.justgiving.com/leeparsons-naturerally
Fisher45

Post by Fisher45 »

I do Health and Safety on the Olympic Park. Prior to that working on Highways and before that many a boring office job and other odd jobs including making cardboard boxes, cleaning the NAAFI, selling newspapers from a van round MOD camps in Germany and being a mum

Return to “THE PUB”